canister filters

jay0705

Why are canisters considered bad for sw tanks? I know nitrate traps, or is this old school thinking?

flower

Hi,

LOL...I call those who hate canister filters...sump snobs.

Properly maintained, they are absolutely not nitrate factories. All filtrating has one goal...to help break down the nasty stuff to nitrates, and then it is supposed to become a harmless gas to evaporate...but that last part takes way too long for our tanks, so we do water changes, or have macroalgae, or scrubbers to absorb it.

I ran my very successful reef for 14 years using two canister filters without a single hic-cup...my nitrates were always around 5 to 10. When I switched to the sump...exactly the same thing. The only time I ever had 0 nitrates, was when I went to seahorses and kept macroalgae in the display.

Don't misunderstand, sumps IMO are still the best choice, it adds water volume, hides ugly equipment, and allows for a refugium chamber (worth it's weight in gold). HOB filters cause lots of salt creep, but are the easiest to maintain, canisters are good, not only because of the media choices you have, but that spray-bar is also worth it's weight in gold. I'm not sure about wet/dry, to me they are just sumps with bio-balls, I never used one so I really don't know much about them.

bang guy

I don't consider them bad for all SW tanks. I do not think they are appropriate for a reef tank though. Sure, they polish the water real clean but also clean up all the beneficial bug larvae before the corals can eat them.

jay0705

Thank you both. A hob just wouldn't be big enough for my tank. Adding multiple seems idiotic. So I'am trying to weigh between sump or canister. The two best options for larger tanks. Currently all my tanks run off hob w/o issue, but again a hob just wouldn't be enough

lmforbis

On my old reef tank which I had up and running at least 10 years had a canister filter. Never had an issue with it. I was out of the hobby for about 4 years. I used it again when I started up a year ago until January when I bought my first sump. I like the sump because I can stash equipment in it and add things to it. It is easier to reach for dosing. It does take more work than the sump.

lmforbis

Tree stand needs to be done right or no more Jay. Plumbing a sump is a bit more forgiving. You can buy flexible spa tubing that goes from your overflow to sump with no joints except at the overflow. That is 1 connection per overflow. Connect return pump to plastic tubing and send back to tank. I have a valve on my return pump to control flow (it came with the pump). On my small tank it took less than 30 minutes to hook up.

lmforbis

Doesn't have to be that high. I have less in my big tank because it looked like river rapids when it went full blast. Too many bubbles ended up in tank.

flower

Hi,

I personally like the Eheim return pumps, they can be adjusted and seem to last forever. In fact I have 2... 2000, and the 3000, one I used on my 56g tall tank and the 3000 I used on my 90g, if you decide to go sump, and you could use one of them... I would be happy to send it to you, just pay the shipping. Even if I got back into the hobby I wouldn't go sump, too much bending over for me.

Austin Rodon

Hello fellow aquarists!

I am starting a 55 Gallon, originally was going to be FW, but now I would like to do a SW fish-only to start, possibly reef. But heres the deal, I have a Hydor 350 Canister filter. And my question is what other filteration systems would I need? I know most people use sumps for SW setups, and they have protein skimmers in them, so would I need a protein skimmer as well as the canister filter? I've been looking through the forums and haven't really found any true suggestions so I am posting this in request of any and all suggestions/advice.

flower

Hello fellow aquarists!

I am starting a 55 Gallon, originally was going to be FW, but now I would like to do a SW fish-only to start, possibly reef. But heres the deal, I have a Hydor 350 Canister filter. And my question is what other filteration systems would I need? I know most people use sumps for SW setups, and they have protein skimmers in them, so would I need a protein skimmer as well as the canister filter? I've been looking through the forums and haven't really found any true suggestions so I am posting this in request of any and all suggestions/advice.
Hi,

Welcome to the site...

Your canister filter is fine, no white phosphate remover so the media is a little different for SW than fresh. You can put off getting a skimmer for a few months. You will need live rock with a SW tank.

geridoc

Hi,

I personally like the Eheim return pumps, they can be adjusted and seem to last forever. In fact I have 2... 2000, and the 3000, one I used on my 56g tall tank and the 3000 I used on my 90g, if you decide to go sump, and you could use one of them... I would be happy to send it to you, just pay the shipping. Even if I got back into the hobby I wouldn't go sump, too much bending over for me.
I agree about the bending over (I've reached that age when bending is tough, straightening up impossible:(). That's why I am removing the sump from under my 220 and relocating it in the basement and re-configuring a 110 tank into the sump so that I can access it without calling the fire department to help me stand up.

flower

I agree about the bending over (I've reached that age when bending is tough, straightening up impossible:(). That's why I am removing the sump from under my 220 and relocating it in the basement and re-configuring a 110 tank into the sump so that I can access it without calling the fire department to help me stand up.
LOL...But I can't do stairs anymore either. Sigh, getting older is hard, but it beats the alternative.