cannot figure out what this is

cajonez

Can anyone ID this guy? It is on the under side of my LR. It is about 1/4 inch long tube, with a hairy "crown on the top of it. It doesn't appear to move and it stays open when the lights are off.

spanko

If you can get to it yes. But you need to get to it by taking the rock it's on out of the tank. If you do this you could just turn the rock over so that it faces the light and it will probbly color back up like that. I personally would not move it by fragging it off the rock in its bleached condition.

cajonez

Luckily there was only one smaller rock on top of that one. I flipped the rock over and it actually had quite a bit of color on the rock. I guess I should have had it that side up to begin with. If whatever it is gets some color to it in the next few days I will post an updated pic. Thanks for the quick replies.

cajonez

Im OK with that, I only have PC lighting so I just hope it is actually something I can support...assuming its is a zoa and not some kind of worm

katsafados

It might be aptasia, I had aptasia growing in my tank that looked the exactly same. Are the tenticles(or w.e) brownish if you look closely?

cajonez

Originally Posted by Katsafados
http:///forum/post/3083470
It might be aptasia, I had aptasia growing in my tank that looked the exactly same. Are the tenticles(or w.e) brownish if you look closely?
It appears to be all the same color. Kind of translucent very light brown.

spanko

Test for Aiptasia here would be does it fully retract into the rock if you get something near it, a net your hand a chopstick?

katsafados

It's aptasia I'm telling you!
I had the same looking things growing like weeds in my tank on a piece of LR. I'd shoot boiling water at them and they would melt into a ball then grow back somewhere else the next day or two.
It doesnt look like a zoa at all. You can see the middle of it is tube like. Zoas dont have a tube going down, its more flat at the top where the mouth is.

katsafados

The ones in my tank looked exactly the same as what you have. White/clear with a tinge of brown and it gets darker brown near the tip of it.

cajonez

I was actually going to place an order for some goodies tomorrow, maybe I will add some peppermint shrimp to it. I was trying to stay away from them because I read they will eat feather dusters.

katsafados

How large is your tank? Do you have any other shrimp? Also if its just one you can shoot boiling water at it and it will die. I had to kill about 6 scattered in my tank.

cajonez

I've got a 55g thats only been up about 6 weeks. I have a pair of nemo's and a small cleanup crew, but no shrimp.

katsafados

Oh then yeah you can buy the shrimp, you got plenty of space for two I think. But if you dont want to you can use boiling water also. Sometimes peppermint shrimp wont eat it though.