cannot raise calcium levels, need advice

thedj

As of yesterday my calcium is at 320 I would like to get it near 420-450. I have been dosing small amounts each day for the past week and still cannot get it to raise. Any advice?

papaeph

I'm in the same boat, but don't test for Mag. I have a gut feeling my Oceanic is from a bad batch; I use the two part solution of B-ionic, still havent used the Alk part, is that wrong??
What prevents Calium from reaching higher levels? How much would the recommended dosage be in ml, to increase cal by 120? 90gal 30gal fuge..
My Tank (Since Oct04)
Date AlkCaNO3NO2PO4pHTempSalinityNotes
7-Nov5.712000008.158035Added Calcium Buffer
15-Nov42000008.147837
22-Nov5.14180000
6-Dec42500008.097837
12-Dec4.232500008.1793575 ml of calcium
Date AlkCaNO3NO2PO4pHTempSalinityNotes
19-Dec3.892600008.067835100ml of calcium
2-Jan3.312900008.657937100ml of calcium
9-Jan3.433200007.977837100ml of calcium
16-Jan2.973200008.077836200ml of calcium
19-Jan2.513500008.057835

thedj

I am dosing with Seachem calcium suppliment, daily. Magnesium levels are unknown, do not test. My calcium remains around 320-340. Should I dose more?

bang guy

Calcium is super saturated above 250ppm in a typical reef tank. This means that at 400ppm it should immediately start to precipitate. Magnesium interferes with Calciums ability to form crystals so at 1350ppm Magnesium, Calcium will not be able to precipitate until into the 600's.
If your Magnesium level is low then Calcium will begin to precipitate at a certain threshold level. In your case it looks like that threshold is about 350.
A series of large water changes could fix your problem. Especially if you can get ahold of some of Golfish's mutant Oceanic salt.

thedj

Originally posted by Bang Guy
Calcium is super saturated above 250ppm in a typical reef tank. This means that at 400ppm it should immediately start to precipitate. Magnesium interferes with Calciums ability to form crystals so at 1350ppm Magnesium Calcium will not be able to precipitate until into the 600's.
If your Magnesium level is low then Calcium will begin to precipitate at a certain threshold level. In your case it looks like that threshold is about 350.
A series of large water changes could fix your problem. Especially if you can get ahold of some of Golfish's mutant Oceanic salt.

Okay,
I do not think that I understand, Your fisrt paragraph is a little over my head. I'm not sure how calcium can precipitate. What does precipitate mean for salt water? Thanks for your time in this.

robchuck

Bang,
That's an excellent explanation of how magnesium works in relation to calcium!
Since switching over to Oceanic salt, I've not had any problems with low magnesium, nor have I had to add magnesium supplements.

yaksplat

Originally posted by theDJ
Okay,
I do not think that I understand, Your fisrt paragraph is a little over my head. I'm not sure how calcium can precipitate. What does precipitate mean for salt water? Thanks for your time in this.

When you were a kid did you ever make rock candy with a string in sugar water? If you did then you'd know that you had to heat the water up so it would hold more sugar than the cold water. When the water would cool down, some of the sugar would come out of solution. Well, the same thing will happen with calcium in your reef tank. If you have a super saturated solution of calcium and you add a little bit more, a great deal of the calcium will come out of solution and it will look like it's snowing in your tank.
So no matter how much calcium you add, you will never get it to the level that you want without have enough magnesium in you tank.
Jim

golfish

Originally posted by RobChuck
Bang,
That's an excellent explanation of how magnesium works in relation to calcium!

I'll second that
Originally posted by RobChuck

Since switching over to Oceanic salt, I've not had any problems with low magnesium, nor have I had to add magnesium supplements.

Yeah, me too:rolleyes: I'll never use that stuff again
But then I've never had to add mag supplements.
TheDJ,
This is just another one of those times where you need to buy something for your tank that doesn't look perdy (Mag test kit)..

papaeph

Their are two types of Magnesium in a artificial sea salt mix,
magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate.
Natural sea water concentration for magnesium is approx 1,300 mg/L.
However, it is not unusual for reef aquariums to have concentrations closer to 1,000 mg/L, which may be beneficial.
The magnesium concentration in kalkwasser treated aquariums
may be as low as 600 - 700 mg/L. in general, be careful to maintain magnesium concentrations in reef aquariums around 1,000 mg/L to 1,300 mg/L.
The chemistry part is always a pain for most of us just starting in the reef realm; i feel like i now have a minor in this field..
The reward however dosen't get any beeter.
FLY EAGLES FLY:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: