Canopy and Stand plans

leviwin

I was wondering if anybody could send me some good plans to build a canopy and stand for a 55 gallon tank. Thanks

leviwin

If this helps any my tank is 48 in by 12 in and about 21 inches deep. Right now I just want to put in some normal output 48" bulbs and want to add in metal halides when I get some more $$. I was planning on adding a refugium this summer as soon as I get out of school. I was just planning on using an old 20 gallon tank that I have which is 12" by 24", which I want to put underneath the tank. I am a little unsure what would be good to build for the tank I have right now. I don't know exactly what would be good to support all that weight.

leviwin

What would be good to support all that weight? Should I just have two 2 by 4 doulbled up side in each corner or do you think I'll need some in the middle

slick

Well are you ballast going to be housed in/on the canopy? If so what kind of ballast are they? VHO, MH, PC? All I use for my canopys is basicly a box made out of 3/4 inch plywood. And then I nail and glue a few stripes of wood on the inside to sit on top of the tank trim. This method works really go for me and the people I have made them for. Here is a pic of a canopy that I made for a guy in Mississippi. It looks almost identical to mine. It is all 3/4 oak plywood.

cjpaske

Here is a pic of my 55gal stand, I don't have any plans, but if you have any question I would be glad to hep out.
What I can tell you is that the bottom part is framed out with 2x4's, doubled up in each corner, cross braces added on the top and bottom, and what the stand sit's on is doubled up 3/4 plywood. Remember that the stand will be a little top heavy , so double up at the bottom so it won't tilt over on you.

magyk

Slick is the man when designing canopies he gave me the basic design features and I'm going to build within the month
It will pretty fun

leviwin

Thanks for all the pictures. It has helped me come up with some great ideas. I going to start on my stand tonite and wait to build the canopy. Lots of fun.

logan15

my 75 but the stand and canopy are stained golden oak and the stand has 2 doors in the front now All DIY by myself

slick

Logan you don't have any doors on front of your stand. How are you going to get to your filtration?