Can't find my Lettuce Nudi!!!!

frankthetank

I bought a lettuc nudi from SWF.com 2 weeks ago, and I haven't seen him in since Friday(3 days ago). I noticed him Friday because he was towards the top of the glass and I always do my water change on Fridays. I have a pretty good rockwork layout, so it's not uncommong for me to not be able to find something for a day or so because it could be hiding somewhere... but now for 3 days I haven't seen him. I enjoyed seeing the lil' guy slug around.

teen

theyre knbown for getting sucked through pumps and powerheads. did you check those? even if you dont find him in there, he may have ben chopped up by the impellars if you have a strong enough pump.
maybe sucked through the overflow?

ghola5

3 weeks ago i also got one from swf.com, and after a week he was missing, i loved him and he was so cute, only thing that i can thing of it my big yellow pig tang ate it :(

frankthetank

I had never seen one before... and sometimes you can't tell by the pictures how big something is. So when the package arrived, I remember thinking to myself... Yea, I'll never see him amongst all the rock. Well, everyday he was so easy to see. Then all of a sudden, I never see him since Friday.
I'm surprised if he didn't get eaten, I mean he looks pretty vulnerable.
Maybe why SWF.com says only one per order????

ghola5

it could be, there so cute though and I miss mine to but I dont want to get another one and the same thing happen, there so cute though and im really sorry about yours to.

:scared: :scared: well all nudis including lettuce are really hard to keep. they feed on sponge which is hard to get and is expensive so they're not such a good idea.
and as someon said before, they get sucked in too a lot of weird places.
now i have a question of my own, when Nudis die, do they pollute the tank like a sea apple does?

xokarmaxo

Is this the same as a lettuce nudi?

I got this one from my LFS about 2 months ago and they told me that it was a "lettuce sea slug".
It is very active in my tank and seems to be doing very well and I always see it, so I don't know?

bang guy

Originally Posted by xokarmaxo
I got this one from my LFS about 2 months ago and they told me that it was a "lettuce sea slug".
Sea Slug is the accurate name. They are not Nudibranch.

xokarmaxo

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Sea Slug is the accurate name. They are not Nudibranch.
Thanks so much for the clarification!

I knew if anyone would know, it would be you, Bang!

frankthetank

I call them a nudibranch because swf.com does. I hardly really know anything about the names of all the fish, snails, crabs, etc... I just know I like them all.
I guess mine is gone, I'm on day 4 without seeing him now.

teen

Originally Posted by fishymaster776
:scared: :scared: well all nudis including lettuce are really hard to keep. they feed on sponge which is hard to get and is expensive so they're not such a good idea.
and as someon said before, they get sucked in too a lot of weird places.
now i have a question of my own, when Nudis die, do they pollute the tank like a sea apple does?
they feed on bryopsis, which is an algae, not a sponge.
these sea slugs dont have the powerful toxins that some nudis carry. some nudis can wipe out tanks.

xokarmaxo

Originally Posted by teen
these sea slugs dont have the powerful toxins that some nudis carry. some nudis can wipe out tanks.
If my sea slug dies, does it release some toxins that could possibly wipe out my tank? I have a Oceanic 14 gallon Biocube.

teen

the one you pictured wont wipe out your tank. if it did die, i would do a small water change, run some carbon (which everyone should be doing anyway) and forget about it.

frankthetank

Originally Posted by fisherkid91
i wanted one but i heard they were easy prey for blue legs and i have alot of them
I hate the blue leg. The blue leg kills anything he can possibly get his claws on. They're just too aggressive. I love the scarlet hermits, and I just got some free jade hermits to test them out.