can't find southdown

wax32

Yes, other posts have said put vinegar on your sand, aragonite based sand will fizz.

lefty

I've heard that but didn't feel compelled to try it until now.
Correction: The playsand is the one in the white bag.
It has now been proven that Old Castle playsand is not aragonite based. It didn't fizz. =(
-lefty

snipe

Theres all kinds right next to the water lol. Im joking I think in florida it would be alittle easier to find that out here in the show me state. Home depot carries it.

herp_house

So the play sand is no good to use? Splendid. Couldnt I make the play sand live sand by adding a couple cups of real live sand that has been in a well established tank?

snipe

As long as the play sand is aragonite based sand you can use it. Ppl have used sillica based sand most aquarium glass has sillica in it the only reason ppl dont like it is cause there is a chance of the sillica leaking into your water. I personally didnt try sillica I just went with aragonite sand.

wrassecal

Our guy ordered a pallet, that was the smallest amount he could order direct from the company. It was quite a while ago now. We ended up paying $10 a bag (still great price) to cover costs. Southdown is based out of PA. I have talked to them and if you call direct you may be able to talk to a rep that can tell you if they any national contracts or contracts beyond the east coast. Here's a pic of what we got....

mbrands

Thanks Wrassecal!!
Sorry about the game.

I don't see this sand marked as "southdown", but it is ok for use in a marine tank?

veganman

I emailed Quikrete and they were prompt to respond that ALL Quikrete products are silica based. :-(
I also emailed The Home Depot corporate office to see about them offering Southdown nationwide.......still no response.
Maybe if everybody emailed and asked....................?
The yardright website has this to say about Tropical Play Sand:
Not suitable for aquarium systems
Liability release or warning?

snipe

They signed a contract with carib sea to not sell it as aquarium sand cause of course carib sea sells it and thay would take away from there sales. So it is yes liabilty only.

tyedyed1

im from southwest florida and the wife works at home depot, so if anyone still needs sand let me know and ill see what i can do for you.:D later.

d12monkey

Originally posted by aiber
Anyone fromsouth florida know where I may be able to find "Southdown" sand?

Yea it's called the beach. :D It's what I used.

mbrands

D12monkey - I've heard not to use real beach sand due to the contaminants that wash up on shore. Glad to hear that worked for you.
Tyedyed1 - I think I'll need 100-150 pounds (2-3 bags) for a decent bedding in a 55. Please let me know what she is able to find out and I thank you both for looking into it!!!

Mike

wrassecal

Originally posted by mbrands
Thanks Wrassecal!!
Sorry about the game.

I don't see this sand marked as "southdown", but it is ok for use in a marine tank?

Yardright is the new name of Southdown. Google "southdown tropical play sand" if you need more info.
Thanks, for the sympathy on the game. I even work at OU and my office window looks out over the stadium.
New international symbol for choking...