Can't get my temp down

bearfan-28

I cannot get my temp below 82. I have the heater set all the way down to 72 and I cannot get it to drop. I have my pc lights sitting on the glass tops, but I don't believe that is the problem because the temp never changes. I only run them 8 hours a day and the temp stays constant. Any suggestions. I thought at first the heater was stuck, but I have not seen it run in 2 days.

shawna

I just went throughthe same my hubby built a box ( not a full canopie to set the lights up mine are a foot but I think you can go with 8 inches I lost a few to over heating and that cured the problom! mine are the hallide lights over a 90 2X 175 watts each + 2 fleuressecent bulbs forgive my spellling:sleepy:
shawna

metmike

how about 86 my tank stays there all day and depending on the night it will go down to 84 or 83 is that to high will it cause any probs.

daveb

I had some trouble with temp fluctucations until I added one computer fan, one of the four inch fans, runs on a 12 watt power supply, at the back of my canopy.... it has not got a thermostat and runs 23/7, and added a 300 watt heater set to 82 degrees in my refugium... since I did that, the old temp fluctuations from 84-85 down to 78-79 at night have stopped completely and my tank is now 82 degrees 24/7 ........ I am quite happy with that...
I got the fan free of course from an old computer, and had a 12 Watt power supply lying around from something that died a few years ago, and I never throw old power supplies away.... So this did not cost me a thing to do...
Dave

daveb

One thing I forgot to mention.. When I added the fan, my evaporation went from a half gallon a day to two gallons a day, which was a pain in the butt at first, but I built an auto top off using the tubing, air pump, 5 gallon water bottle method I found at this site.... it works beautifully, and I only have to refill the bottle every three days, instead of adding a half gallon of water four times a day... :D
Dave

shawna

with 2 fans one on each end of th balast we were still at 90 degreees would that have bien a beter option rather than raising them up? (the computer fans ) the 2 were from the manufacturer of the lights and just didn't do it when it was 95 out

tony detroit

Originally posted by bearfan-28
I have my pc lights sitting on the glass tops

This could be part of your problem. Evaporative cooling is what you are looking for. Although your temp is not that bad, you may have problems on a rather warm day in the summer. You can install cooling fans in your canopy like I did to blow air across the water surface, or you can point a fan at your sump to cool water there too. These are cheap solutions, you could always buy a chiller, but you really don't need to drop that much temp.