can't keep blue Chromis alive

eyeguy98

I have purchased small groups of blue chromis over the past month. The first was a group of five, lasted about a week. The second group of three lasted less than 48 hrs. I found most of them being eaten by hermit crabs. they all seemed happy and fed after being intruduced to my tank. I acclimate all of my fish and have no probleem with the health of the other fish. 29 gal bow 20 lbs. live sand, 30lbs. live rock moderste to high water movement and an air source. 1 Cardinal, 1 Lawnmower Goby, assortment of snails and hermit crabs. feather dusters and a LTA. I found one this morning swimming erratically and his mid section was red. Water tested two days ago before acclimating the new fish showed all safe ranges. nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, ph, phosphorus, and salinity are all in the correct levels. What can it be?

lmforbis

Often they will pick each other off, they are a type of damsel. I wouldn't even try more than one in a small tank.
Chromis are also particularly susceptible to a disease called uranema marinum. It is a difficult disease to treat and once in your tank it doesn't die off like other parasites because it doesn't need fish to live.

eyeguy98

Often they will pick each other off, they are a type of damsel. I wouldn't even try more than one in a small tank.
Chromis are also particularly susceptible to a disease called uranema marinum. It is a difficult disease to treat and once in your tank it doesn't die off like other parasites because it doesn't need fish to live.

ok, so no more Chromis for me. I haven't lost any fish that cannot be explained. Thank you

bang guy

What can it be?
As already mentioned, they tend to pick each other off in small numbers due to the hierarchical structure of their shoal. The smallest number I've been successful with is seven. They are very docile toward other fish but not other Chromis.

McFraembs

Looks like I may be having the same issue, I have a 90 gal tank and introduced 7 at the same time..... I am down to 5 at this point and has been 7 days....