Cant locate specific species of puffer.....

aysiana

:help:
I once had a very beatiful puffer. Unfortunately, after 2yrs, he stopped eating for no apparent reason and wasted away and died. Ive had a few fish since, but none of them compared to my puffer. Now my tank is empty and Ive decided that I wont keep any other kind of fish. I recently restarted my entire tank. I bleached all my live rock, switched from crushed coral to live aragonite, and plan on changing from my Ehiem canister filter to a sump setup. So I figured I'd start looking for a new puffer since my tank is almost through its cycle.
To my suprise, I cannot find the same type of puffer I had before. The type I had before was labeled as a "blue sapo puffer". Only you know how everyone calls fishes by different names....and now I can locate another puffer of this species
Ive tried looking on here even, and nothing. Can anyone help me locate my type of puffer, PLEASE???
He was about 6-8 inches long. And he was the most perfect, prettiest perrywinkle blue color with white speckles all over. Now, Ive seen other puffers with patches of this blue color and white speckles on them.....but theres always another color or pattern on them. My fish was solid blue with only white speckles all over. No other patterns, no other colors.
If any of you have any info that might help me in my hunt for my new puffer, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

moto757

i know a place that has one that is blue and white it is called a arothron puffer it is blue with white spots

aysiana

Originally posted by moto757
i know a place that has one that is blue and white it is called a arothron puffer it is blue with white spots

Really?? :joy: But is it someplace online?? Cause looking at your location, and looking at mine....I doubt I'd be able to travel that far. Thank you for the info....I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who could see my posts since no one would respond!!

belothsurf

Originally posted by AYSIANA
If any of you have any info that might help me in my hunt for my new puffer, I would really appreciate it. Thanks. [/B]
As I don't have "any info" on puffers, I didn't answer. As the end of your thread implies, if you don't have any info, don't answer.......so no more comments about us not answereing...... :D You asked a question, that obviously no one had an answer to, and I'm sorry no one welcomed you. Anyway, I usually only answer threads that I can answer with a legitimate answer.....or.....ones that I can give a smart ass answer to......But that's me....... :D

aysiana

Originally posted by Chandler04
Did it look like this by any chance? This is a guniea sumthing puffer. Email me for the site name it is from... Chandler044@aol.com

YES!!! Its almost exactely like that....same body shape, same speckled pattern, only a much lighter blue color. Perrywinkle blue. A greyish blue. I found almost the exact picture that you posted but I dont have enough posts built up to be able to post pics yet I guess.

cincyreefer

Yeah sounds like a color morph of Arothon melagris. Has many common names, one of which is the New Guinea Fowl puffer. Expensive puffers, especially some of the better color morphs.
Edit- unless you are referring to the much smaller and inexpensive Honeycomb puffer... also called the blue dot puffer. Don't know the scientific name off hand but if it was smaller (4" and under) and cheap then that is what you had.

chandler04

Asianna.... All fish usually come with different color tints, especially with coloartion like that. It varies little, but it often means light and dark, ya know? Thats probably wat u had, but not exactly a cheap species.

aysiana

Yes he was very expensive....$200.00 to be exact...but he was at least 6 inches when I got him so he couldnt have been the honeycomb one.

chandler04

That about fits the description. Seriously, give me an email and I will give you the site it was from. Obviosuly it wasnt a honeyomb then...

salty cheese

How about this one, it was labeled as a guineafowl puffer in its blue stage and it was from the waters off Cost Rica

moto757

yeah that puffer is from online but it looks like chandlers taking care of you if you need to know where just post back an email and i will hook you up

aysiana

Thanks, but I actually found "my puffer" today at a LFS. Hes a good healthy one too. A little darker than my last one, but close enough. Unfortunately, my tank is still cycling now so I couldnt get him. I bought more LR rock today to help revive my "dead rock". Then I have to buy, and setup a sump. (I have a canister filter now, which I refuse to keep using!!) Then Ill be ready for my new puffer. I just hope he's not gone by then. :notsure:

moto757

buy him now and tell them to hold him my lfs will do that for me if something comes in i want and can't get to it because of work or something else it is worth it if you went through so much trouble to get it

aysiana

Yeah, the only problem with that is....I cant get my sump setup until I have the $ for it. And I cant get my puffer until I have my sump...so I already asked the pet shop how long they'd hold him for me and they said a max of a week. That aint long enough. But on the bright side, they said theyve already had him for almost 2 months so hopefully hell still be there when Im finally ready for him.

chandler04

Is that he puffer though? THe guinea fowl spotted majigger? BEAUTIFUL fish I must say, I wish I have a large enough tank. Maybe if I get that 120...:thinking: