carpet anemones ?!?!?!

crashedin0

a few questions
sand or rock ?
and the stinging is it as bad as a bta Vs other corals
i always hear bta kill stoneys but not so much about carpets

bang guy

They typically settle at the base of a rock. They are the most lethal Anemone IMO. They will stick to anything, hands, magnet scrapers, Tangs, even rocks.

crashedin0

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
They typically settle at the base of a rock. They are the most lethal Anemone IMO. They will stick to anything, hands, magnet scrapers, Tangs, even rocks.
but they mostly stay put between sand and rock so the stoneys are safe up top ?

bang guy

Originally Posted by crashedin0
but they mostly stay put between sand and rock so the stoneys are safe up top ?
Once they settle they don't usually move.

reefforbrains

I have had "shag", our monster Carpet for quite some time, color is great and hes a champ for movement and curling up and fluffing out. But they get enormous, ours is nearly 2 foot across when spead open. They do grab everything they can, fish, other anenomes, your hand.....not much a big deal to have a tenticle or two stick to ya but if you let one stick any real amount of surface area on ya they will leave a mark that will hurt for hours and its like trying to pull velcro off your skin.
Size- they do get large quick, not just space but they get expensive to feed.
Flow- they do like flow, and lots of it
Aggressive- one of if not THE most aggressive anenomes.
Light- they say huge light, but I really think thats in the eye of the beholder.
Hosting- since they can get so large and they are so active, they are great to watch. they are great hosts too. Just make your choise wisley because of thier grip/aggression/and potential size.

crashedin0

ok so i guess just place him and pray then just move everyone toll he stays put BTW my 3 pink skunks were hosting one at the LFS so i was thinking a red or maybe blue or purple :thinking:

reefforbrains

flow, try tons of flow, or if you want ..try very low flow with him placed in an area that he can feel it, watch as one part will be gripping the rock like those pictures of people hanging sidways in a hurricane and he inches his way directly into it as much as possible. proccess might take him all day, but he will look like a 1000 armed octopus trying to move upstream against the current. Incredibly durable against heavy flows. JMO but keep asking others that keep carpets for thier experience

bkvreef

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
flow, try tons of flow, or if you want ..try very low flow with him placed in an area that he can feel it, watch as one part will be gripping the rock like those pictures of people hanging sidways in a hurricane and he inches his way directly into it as much as possible. proccess might take him all day, but he will look like a 1000 armed octopus trying to move upstream against the current. Incredibly durable against heavy flows. JMO but keep asking others that keep carpets for thier experience
I have just got a carpet I believe it is a saddle back. I have it in my 110g, and turned off one of my two mjmods 1200 (they are one on either side) for the carpet to settle. When I turn it back on will this be ok? From the quote it sounds like the carpet will actually like this?
What and how often do you feed them?

reefforbrains

we all just have best guess, but my opinion a mj1200 is no problem for a carpet. I have one dedicated just for him blowing right on him and he loves it. I feed shag a varied mix. I do feed daily for a few weeks then every now and again I skip a day to let the tank forage in the cracks. Dont know if it actually works but tank is always clean and I always fear a pocket down in the rocks rotting away.
I sometimes spotfeed with a mush of churned fish and shrimp I make from the grocerystore. not like fish pudding, more like 1/10th inch pieces made in food proccessor. I dont subscribe to the whole toss them a silversde approach, Seems mine always do better with less food per feeding but fed more often. most days I really chum up the tank and just let him catch what he can, they are extremly aggressive eaters. Keep in mind shag is enormous, how big is your carpet?

reefforbrains

also be careful about him sticking to your hands, some folks really do get quite a painful reaction if they get a good hold of you.