Carribean play sand???

denny80688

I was looking for south down sand at local home depot and lowes and they carry a carribean play sand that looks very limilar however it even says on the packaging "not for aquarium use" Is that accurate or will this sand work??
Dennis

denny80688

even though its not the "south down" brand sand and even though it says not to use it in a tank that the good stuff??

denny80688

:notsure: Not sure. someone posted a pic of the south down stuff and its the exact same packaging but doesnt say south down. SO I am guessing its the right stuff. supposedly the southdown stuff also says not for aquarium use. :confused:

dskidmore

That's because Carabsea has a non-competitive agreement with the company that mines the sand. It's the exact same stuff only cheaper, and can not be sold for aquarium use by contract. There's nothing wrong with the sand to keep it from going into an aquarium.

denny80688

I figured it was someting odd like that because if you do a search on south down sand like on google it comes up everywhere for tank use.

D

dubbin1

If the bag looks like the one in the picture, then it is the right stuff.

Just a quick tip...
Either put the sand in first and cover it with plastic, or use PVC to put the sand in the tank. If you dump it right in, you'll get foam and a sandstorm for about 2 weeks.....

evilss

i put 4 bags of sand in with my 135 gal tank. i like a deep sand bed. i guess it depends on what you are going to be keeping.

spline9

Why would you encourage the sandstorm, bang?
Just wanna know since I'm replacing my CC/LS 'strate this weekend.

denny80688

hmm I wondered about the sand being everywhere so I am also interested in why you would want a sand storm?? Does using the plastic over the sand really help? WHen you pull the plastic out wouldnt it still cause a big mess?

Using the plastic does help. It still creates a small sand storm, but it clears up in a day or two.
As for the sandstorm, I'm guessing that Bang is suggestiong the sandstorm so that the finer particles are on top and the larger pieces stay near the bottom. (Ultimately causing areas for anerobic bacteria to thrive and cause denitrification - but that's in a DSB so it wouldn't apply here .. I digress)
Now that I made that assumption on Bang's advice, the thing is, over time with sand sifting, the finer sand will still rise to the top layer. Just like if you put sand under CC, eventually the sand will make it's way to the top layer, and the CC will 'sink' to the bottom.
How did I do BANG?

spline9

Actually, CC rises to the top.
The smaller (and heavier) sand particles will fall between the CC particles filling gaps, eventually pushing the CC up.
This is whats happening in my tank. I have CC/LS mix. The CC always finds its way up top.

You know what, you're right spline... Don't know what the heck I was thinking. Too much work and not enough tank time I guess.
OK, that being said - I have no clue why Bang wants the sandstorm....:confused:
Sorry!:rolleyes:

spline9

Yeah, I had a HUGE stint of crazy amounts of OT the past several weeks. Finally making my tank-time up myself.
As for the plastic method... I havent used it so I can only assume it works from testomonials Ive read on here. If you just want to add sand to an exsisting aquascape, small sandwich baggies could also work. I'm replacing my substrate this weekend so I'm going to be trying that. Since I only have a 29gal tank, I might just use 1gal ziplock bags to lay the sand in then slip the sand out.