Cat question.

fishtaco

Having recently lost my oldest cat I am thinking of getting another kitten, I currently have a 4 year old female and a 6 month old male, both are fixed. So any opinions on if another male or female kitten would be best to get to insure I don't have any dominance or cat box training problems?
Fishtaco

flower

Originally Posted by Fishtaco
http:///forum/post/3140737
Having recently lost my oldest cat I am thinking of getting another kitten, I currently have a 4 year old female and a 6 month old male, both are fixed. So any opinions on if another male or female kitten would be best to get to insure I don't have any dominance or cat box training problems?
Fishtaco

Everything loves a baby...they are no threat, as long as you get a kitten it will be accepted into the family, its gender won't matter. Sorry for your loss.

miaheatlvr

How old was your cat? indoor? outdoor.. My cat in winding down on her life, 15yrs old. Has Megacolon but still in high spirits.. Im going to be really crushed! Sorry for your loss.

fishtaco

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
http:///forum/post/3140936
How old was your cat? indoor? outdoor.. My cat in winding down on her life, 15yrs old. Has Megacolon but still in high spirits.. Im going to be really crushed! Sorry for your loss.
My cat was 18 and she mainly lived inside but enjoyed hanging out with her people out in the yard. I miss her a bunch and she was "my" cat and I don't know what to do without having her up at my computer desk walking on my keyboards or laying down right in front of the screen. Been thinking about going to look at kittens tomorrow at the animal shelter, I know she can't be replaced, but I have room for another cat and it seems like the right thing to do. Sending good karma for you and your cat.
Fishtaco

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3140962
My cat was 18 and she mainly lived inside but enjoyed hanging out with her people out in the yard. I miss her a bunch and she was "my" cat and I don't know what to do without having her up at my computer desk walking on my keyboards or laying down right in front of the screen.
Been thinking about going to look at kittens tomorrow at the animal shelter, I know she can't be replaced, but I have room for another cat and it seems like the right thing to do. Sending good karma for you and your cat.
Fishtaco
I thought my cat was the only one who did that....lol
they may not welcome a new addition at first.....my cat was not very nice when I brought home the 2nd...he just had to let her know who was boss..LOL...now they are buddies
Good luck, and rescue a kitty all the way....just be careful that it is not infested with anything

gypsana

I found that the only way to introduce a new cat is have it in a shut room by itself for a few days to a week. Once your other cats start to play footsies under the door crack it open and let then see each other briefly. I did this numerous times during the day. They may still hiss when you let the new arrival out but it does make the transition smoother. Also when you go and pet the new arrival let the other cats smell your hands. One more thing I did was pet the new cat with a sock and then leave it on the floor for the other cats to get used to the scent. I did not do this the first time I introduced a new kitten and they are now 8 yrs old and still fight, drives me crazy. BTW my 5 are all indoor dwellers.

fishtaco

Well, I picked out a little male black and white kitten today at the shelter and all is well so far and I do happen to have dogs, a border collie and an Australian cattle dog which is plenty of dog for me.
Fishtaco

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3141463
Well, I picked out a little male black and white kitten today at the shelter and all is well so far and I do happen to have dogs, a border collie and an Australian cattle dog which is plenty of dog for me.
Fishtaco
PICTURES!! PICTURES!!