Catching a Clownfish?

elfdoctors

Does anyone know of a good way to catch a sebae clownfish without taking apart my entire reef?
I plan to bring in two perculas which are brighter and bolder that have been in my QT for two months, and move them into the display. I have tried to catch the sebae while feeding but it is very shy and tends to stay in the live rock. Any help appreciated.

elfdoctors

No. It seems to sleep in an inaccessible area behind lots of live rock. That would have been easy to catch it at night.

bang guy

I've never seen a timid Clownfish like that. Would it be possible to get a couple 32 gallon roughnecks and drain the water and then just pick up the fish?

elfdoctors

Originally posted by Bang Guy
I've never seen a timid Clownfish like that. Would it be possible to get a couple 32 gallon roughnecks and drain the water and then just pick up the fish?

The shyness is part of the reason I would like to replace it. The timidity seemed to come on after its partner died. This occured shortly after I set up the tank and got ich (back in my beginner days without a QT). The fish died during hyposalinity treatment in an uncycled tank. After 9 months, I don't think it will get better. My kids (and their friends) want to see NEMO.
Whenever the water level is lowered (e.g. when I make a water change), I never see that fish. I will probably have to just dismantle the reef.
I plan on keeping the sebae by itself (with a rogue killer hermit crab) in my QT which I rarely use now that my tank is stocked. This will keep the tank cycled and ready to go if I ever have problems. I can also quarantine inverts and corals in there with the clownfish.
Bang Guy, thanks for the advice! BTW, how is your original Nemo doing after you sold it? Is your clownfish rearing doing well?

T

tizzo

It looks kinda ugly but this is what I did...
I put a large net in the tank, let the net part sit on the bottum for about 2 days. Fed the fish as normal, then on day 3, I fed the fish and creeped the net up under them and by then they were used to having it in the tank so they didn't pay it much mind. I caught every fish in the tank that way... except that darn damsel (those little critters are smart!!).

elfdoctors

I'll try that Tizzo. Thanks for the suggestion.
My concern is that the fish runs to hide whenever anyone is in front of the tank and rarely strays far enough away from the live rock to catch. This technique may save me the effort of taking apart the tank.
I'm finally getting nearly full coraline coverage on most of my live rock. My green star polyps have spread to three rocks. These may suffer if the tank is dismantled.

bang guy

Originally posted by elfdoctors
how is your original Nemo doing after you sold it? Is your clownfish rearing doing well?

Nemo is doing well from what I hear. I've been asking for a picture. I'll share once I get a pic.
I now have several hundred Clownfish Fry ranging from 3mm up to 3cm.