Cathey's 55 gallon dream... my first tank

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathey http:///t/392683/starting-a-saltwater-tank-and-am-a-complete-virgin-to-this-i-need-help-and-more-help#post_3489696
Sorry about the pic. I took those right after i got all the water in and sand was kicked up a bit. I noticed the aipstacia from another pic someone else posted. I had planned to do peppermint shrimp to eat it after i got my tank cycled. I will definitely read that article and check into the other options to get it under control before it takes over. Thanks for the link. I added more live rock yesterday. This brings me up to 42 lbs and i don't think i will add anymore. I really dont care much for the aquascape that my husband did, but i am glad he did get his hands wet other than surprising me with the tank a few weeks ago. I give him KUDOS... good husband surprising me with a tank to start my dream.

This made me smile!!! Very cute.
Good boy!!! LOL.
Congrats on the new tank!!! It is very exciting setting up your first SW tank. It looks like you are doing a good job researching. Keep it up. I feel that research is the most important piece of equipment you can have. Not just for initial setup but for maintaining a good SW tank.
Definitely get yourself some Joe's Juice!! ZAP those suckers!!!

cathey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassinprof http:///t/392683/starting-a-saltwater-tank-and-am-a-complete-virgin-to-this-i-need-help-and-more-help#post_3489776
Personally, I would not wait until you can add the Peppermint shrimp. From what I understand it's hit or miss whether the shrimp will do the job and the longer you wait the longer the pests have to spread. Now's the time to take care of it so you don't have to worry about the treatment harming other things in the tank
I was thinking of getting a berghia nudibranch. They only eat aipstacia.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathey http:///t/392683/starting-a-saltwater-tank-and-am-a-complete-virgin-to-this-i-need-help-and-more-help/20#post_3489848
I was thinking of getting a berghia nudibranch. They only eat aipstacia.
What do you do once they are all gone??
I would just get some Joe's Juice and kill them that way. Much easier, cheaper... A lot of folks will recommend not adding an animal to your system just to combat an issue. Because once the issue is resolved the animal often starves and dies or is just unwanted. This is just my $.02

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/392683/starting-a-saltwater-tank-and-am-a-complete-virgin-to-this-i-need-help-and-more-help/20#post_3489853
What do you do once they are all gone??
I would just get some Joe's Juice and kill them that way. Much easier, cheaper... A lot of folks will recommend not adding an animal to your system just to combat an issue. Because once the issue is resolved the animal often starves and dies or is just unwanted. This is just my $.02
A peppermint shrimp will not only eat aptasia, they are great little tank cleaners too, so they won't die after the aptasia is gone... Why don't you want a shrimp?

cathey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/392683/starting-a-saltwater-tank-and-am-a-complete-virgin-to-this-i-need-help-and-more-help#post_3489817
I disagree, It isn't hit or miss with peppermint shrimp...However they look very simular to camelback shrimp, and there could be a mix up with a person getting the wrong shrimp or folks feed the shrimp so they are not hungry enough to go hunting for food.
Also peps won't eat the big granddaddy aptasia...so do treat them with Joes juice or aptasia X like Bassinprof suggested, and the let the peppermint shrimp take care of any new baby crops. The biggest problem is that aptasia can grow in spots near impossible to get with the applicator so I believe you do need a critter to help keep them in check.
I was told there were 2 different kinds of pepps. That one kind didn't eat aipstacia and the other did, but would only eat them if they were not given any other food. So hence i would have to starve them. I do plan on getting some peppermint shrimps, but i do need to wait until my tank cycles.
I went to the LFS today and looked for Joe's juice. They do not have it. They had a bottle of calcium hydroxide. (if i am not mistaken... that is the same chemical that was in the swamp to swim, and shock that i use on my pool). It was a huge bottle that i couldn't imagine of using it all if you only inject small amounts into the anemone. I thought that was a ridiculous price at 39.99. They said smaller bottles that came in a kit would be coming in with the syringe by Thursday. I really don't want to put any chemicals in the tank, i would much rather go with a natural remedy. I am going to look on online sites for the aipstacia X or Joe's juice and hoping to have some luck there. As my tank just tested 0 on ammonia today and is starting the next part of the cycle..

Flower I really appreciate your suggestions and info helping this newbie out. Everyone else THANKS too.
I havent even started my QT yet... I need to get that ball rolling like yesterday i do believe. My husband wants me to tank water from the DT and put in the QT so we do not have to start the whole cycling another tank process. He is impatient. LOL I don't know if that is a good idea or not. His argument is the water change schedule, and i kind of see his point. What is you guys opinions of this?

sweat90lx

There are 3 different types of peppermint shrimp. Only one eats aptasia and I can find the link to it now.
It is great that your husband is involved. Take this slowly and do lots of research to stay successful in this great hobby. Most important, have fun enjoying with family.

bassinprof

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathey http:///t/392683/starting-a-saltwater-tank-and-am-a-complete-virgin-to-this-i-need-help-and-more-help/20#post_3489952
I havent even started my QT yet... I need to get that ball rolling like yesterday i do believe. My husband wants me to tank water from the DT and put in the QT so we do not have to start the whole cycling another tank process. He is impatient. LOL I don't know if that is a good idea or not. His argument is the water change schedule, and i kind of see his point. What is you guys opinions of this?
You might save a few days worth of cycle by using water from your DT but remember that the cycling process is driven by the growth of bacteria mostly in your biological filter and so I doubt just transferring water will move enough bacteria. Have you considered commercial products for seeding your biological filter? I know you'll get varied opinions on this but when I first set up my QT in an emergency (a sick fish) I added the product below and my tank went from a toxic level of ammonia to acceptable water in only a few days.
http://www.*****.com/product/5626/Aquarium-Products-Saltwater-Biozyme.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

cathey

No, I didn't know their were products that would seed the growth of bacteria for my QT. I am gonna check into that. I tested my parameters again today and my ammonia is 0. Nitrite is testing 0 also. Nitrates are at 10 ppm, which means my tank is almost cycled. But... I am confused because i have not seen the diatoms or a green slime algae. Does this always happen? I have 43 lbs. of live rock, and 35 lbs. of live sand. The kids are anxious for fish, but i am still explaining we have to wait. On the QT do i need to have live rock and live sand also?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathey http:///t/392683/starting-a-saltwater-tank-and-am-a-complete-virgin-to-this-i-need-help-and-more-help/20#post_3490936
No, I didn't know their were products that would seed the growth of bacteria for my QT. I am gonna check into that. I tested my parameters again today and my ammonia is 0. Nitrite is testing 0 also. Nitrates are at 10 ppm, which means my tank is almost cycled. But... I am confused because i have not seen the diatoms or a green slime algae. Does this always happen? I have 43 lbs. of live rock, and 35 lbs. of live sand. The kids are anxious for fish, but i am still explaining we have to wait. On the QT do i need to have live rock and live sand also?
No, all you need is a filter, a piece of PVC or a decoration (for the fish to feel secure), and an airline (no stone) Most QT are 10g, so a power head is really too strong. A small HOB Whisper filter and an airline will move the surface water. If the new fish gets sick you can dose the tank and make sure it is well before adding it to the DT. Rock and sand would get in the way of medicine and would need to be removed, so leave it out and save yourself the trouble.
Biozyme and Cycle are good products... but they still take time, they are not instant.

cathey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/392683/starting-a-saltwater-tank-and-am-a-complete-virgin-to-this-i-need-help-and-more-help/20#post_3490946
No, all you need is a filter, a piece of PVC or a decoration (for the fish to feel secure), and an airline (no stone) Most QT are 10g, so a power head is really too strong. A small HOB Whisper filter and an airline will move the surface water. If the new fish gets sick you can dose the tank and make sure it is well before adding it to the DT. Rock and sand would get in the way of medicine and would need to be removed, so leave it out and save yourself the trouble.
Biozyme and Cycle are good products... but they still take time, they are not instant.
Good deal. All i need to get is a piece of PVC from the hardware store then. Should i start a cycle with a piece of shrimp again? I have an airline and air pump. Small filter, and a 10 gallon tank already. I really need to get a jump on this. What are the numbers i should keep my QT at as in salinity and gravity?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathey http:///t/392683/starting-a-saltwater-tank-and-am-a-complete-virgin-to-this-i-need-help-and-more-help/20#post_3490948
Good deal. All i need to get is a piece of PVC from the hardware store then. Should i start a cycle with a piece of shrimp again? I have an airline and air pump. Small filter, and a 10 gallon tank already. I really need to get a jump on this. What are the numbers i should keep my QT at as in salinity and gravity?
Yes you can cycle with the shrimp, keep the QT at the same SG as the display tank.
As long as you are stocking your fish keep the QT going. Just add one fish or maybe two small ones each time. If the fish are healthy wait 4 weeks and add it to the DT and then purchase another fish to live in the QT. When you transfer the fish to the display you will need to acclimate it...I net my critter and put it in a plastic container and acclimate them that way.
You can't keep a sandsifter in a sandless tank, so if you purchase a sifter you will need live sand in it, since they live on the tiny creatures in the sand..

cathey

Quarantine is up and running. Salinity is the same as DT. My HOB filter is rated for a 20-40 gallon and is on the 10 gallon so i am not adding an airline. I think this will be plenty enough flow for the tank. I went ahead and purchased coppersafe along with the biozyme to add the bacteria to the water. The owner of the lfs said to treat all fish with the coppersafe while in quarantine. Really? Why treat them unless they are ill? I also bought some quick start. It is manufactured by API. Claims to immediately start aquarium cycle. It contains all natural live nitrifying bacteria.. I put it in the QT to start the cycle and we will see how this goes. Anyone know of anything on this?
I also purchased a poly-filter. Claims to remove harmful organics, toxic ammonia, heavy metals, all forms of phospates, and medication after treatments.

cathey

So it's been a few weeks since i checked in on here. LOL looks like i didn't miss anything on my posts. DT numbers are still great. Still haven't added anything to the tank. My ammonia is 0. Nitrites are 0, but the nitrates are slightly up. I have been ghost feeding for about 2 weeks now. I am thinking i should do a water change.. my first that is! Anyone want to give me some input on how much to change? The nitrates are only at a 25-30 ppm. I know not extremely elevated, but i want to get them to 0 before i start stocking.
QT tank is cycling. Ammonia is at .25ppm. Nitrite .05ppm, and nitrates at 40 ppm. Haven't tested my parameter in these 2 weeks... been slacking! My husband has went against my advice and bought a yellowtailed damsel at the LFS. It is in this tank, and i am worried about these parameters. Maybe we are overfeeding. I know they are hardy fish ( I didn't want one at all lol) and will supposedly live through the cycles, but i didn't want to put a fish through that.. was why i put the biozyme and the quick start in this tank. Any advice or just let this finish cycling out. thinking of adding him to the DT just so he is in good water.

red tiger

It seems as your cycle is complete, did you ever get any ammonia/nitrite readings in your DT?
Anywhere from 25% to 50% would do, I usually do 50% or more on the first water change. Always test your water before water changes

cathey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tiger http:///t/392683/starting-a-saltwater-tank-and-am-a-complete-virgin-to-this-i-need-help-and-more-help/20#post_3492876
It seems as your cycle is complete, did you ever get any ammonia/nitrite readings in your DT?
Anywhere from 25% to 50% would do, I usually do 50% or more on the first water change. Always test your water before water changes
Yes i started my cycle with a piece of raw shrimp in the DT. I had an ammonia and nitrite spike. Not a high one, but i have 40 lbs. of live sand, and 43 lbs. of live rock in there also.
I am preparing for my first water change i am guessing on doing a 25% first.
Still i don't know what to do with the QT and the yellowtailed damsel that is in it. I did not want this fish and should of returned it to the store when my honey bought it with the help of the LFS owner to cycle the QT. Cycle is spiking, but i really don't want him in my DT.

cathey

Well the tank has been up for about 2 months now. I have added 4 peppermint shrimp, a blue legged hermit, a halloween hermit, 2 nasserous snails, and 3 common snails.
i have used the aipstacia X once on the tank, and all 3 of them have came back within a week... i do not see any new croppings of the aipstacia, but am having a hard time ridding my tank of these. I dont think i put enough of it on the anemone's. Am going to remove the rock it is on this weekend and dose it again with the X this weekend, and i think i will fill the holes full. Someone else told me to use pickling lime... Does this work? How will it affect my water quality?

cathey

I forgot to add that a sponge has appeared. There is a group of mushrooms that have popped up, and feather dusters on my rock as well. Hope all stays well in my DT as in water quality, and hope to be stocking soon. my QT is not ready still.

gradymo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathey http:///t/392683/catheys-55-gallon-dream-my-first-tank/20#post_3498060
Well the tank has been up for about 2 months now. I have added 4 peppermint shrimp, a blue legged hermit, a halloween hermit, 2 nasserous snails, and 3 common snails.
i have used the aipstacia X once on the tank, and all 3 of them have came back within a week... i do not see any new croppings of the aipstacia, but am having a hard time ridding my tank of these. I dont think i put enough of it on the anemone's. Am going to remove the rock it is on this weekend and dose it again with the X this weekend, and i think i will fill the holes full. Someone else told me to use pickling lime... Does this work? How will it affect my water quality?
Hi Cathey,
Is there anything else on that rock with the aiptasia, besides the beneficial bacteria? If not, and all the aiptasia is on that one rock, I would take it out and boil it, making sure the aiptasia is gone. I realize it will kill the rock, but in time, it will become "live" again.

cathey

I really do not want to kill this rock. It has corralline on it and is the prettiest one in my newbie tank. I am going to try another round of aipstacia X or maybe the pickling lime and put this rock in my QT... the one with the high nitrites to seperate. There hasn't been any new croppings of the aipstacia... that makes me wonder if really it is aipstacia... maybe majana (i know that is not spelled right, but you know what i am talking about lol).