Caulerpin

bang guy

After reading several essays from one of my favorite and most respected Marine Aquarium Authors (Eric Borneman) I notice a trend toward mentioning the toxic compounds produced by Caularpa sp.
I did a search on caulerpin and I strongly suggest everyone do the same.
I know now after reading endless articles on the toxicity of Caulerpa sp. that I may need to rethink the contents of my Lagoon.
Guy

bang guy

You should read the words from him but I can give you my impression of what he's saying.
Caulerpa produces many harmful metabolites that are hazardous to corals and even to fish in closed systems. Caulerpa removes a lot of nutrients when harvested but it releases Caulerpin each time it is cut. Caulerpin has even been known to poison humans (Eric didn't say that, I found it somewhere else).
Chaetomorpha produces fewer harmful metabolites. Chaetomorpha does produce Caulerpin but since it can be harvested without cutting it there's less chance of it releasing any.
Turtlegrass and other true marine plants do not do a very good job of filtering the water but they are pretty.

T

thomas712

Originally posted by Bang Guy
You should read the words from him but I can give you my impression
of what he's saying.
Caulerpa produces many harmful metabolites that are hazardous to corals and even to fish in closed systems. Caulerpa removes a lot of nutrients when harvested but it releases Caulerpin each time it is cut. Caulerpin has even been known to poison humans (Eric didn't say that, I found it somewhere else).
Chaetomorpha produces fewer harmful metabolites. Chaetomorpha does produce Caulerpin but since it can be harvested without cutting it there's less chance of it releasing any.
Turtlegrass and other true marine plants do not do a very good job of filtering the water but they are pretty.

Oh BOB :eek: "Can you hear me now" ? Any thoughts Bob?

dbgt

caulerpa (the grape type) be kept in the aquarium were things will feed off of it all the time.I had this algae with my tang wich was a bad idea.If you want to know if it is poisoning your tank It will turn a milky green color with small dark green veins running through it.Your tank water will turn a milky green and will be very cloudy.:yes: :yes:It should be left in a refugium. emerald crabs and tangs may make the poison be released because they will eat it at a fast rate.this kills the plant and releases the poison.:yes: :yes:IF YOU HAVE NOTHING FEEDING ON IT IN THE LAGOON BANG, YOU SHOULD BE FINE.:)

dbgt

caulerpa proliferia
very easy, grows quick, no poison, fish like eating it ,and it looks nice.:D

dbgt

caulerpa serturioides ,feather caulerpa same as other in uses. there are a lot more plants.

attml

Go Spaghetti Macro as Bang suggested - Anthony Calfo spoke at our local aquarium club's spring open house last year and he suggested that Calurpa could be harmful when it went sexual. I have been using spaghetti since with no problems.

jbstuart

I know grape caulerpa goes sexual, how many other species go sexual? If its not nitrates killing everything its, caulerpa. I'll take my chances with caulerpa I guess.
thanks
Jarod

escape2thewater

I have the proliferia also. It actually took over in my fuge by overgrowing the grape caulerpa. My tank has seemed healthier since then. Maybe its not a coincidence?? I lost 2 colonies of star polyps a couple months ago, but soon after the grape caulerpa died off, the polyps started growing back. Prob just coincidence but makes me say hmmmm.
KYle
:happyfish

infalable

I am getting two macros. Based on this info, I believe chaetamorpha and calurpa prolifera would be two good choices, is that correct?

bang guy

I believe I'm going to encourage the growth of Chaetomorpha, Gracilaria, Ulva, Halimeda, and Hair Algae on the walls of the Lagoon..

mebigloser

Why is it everytime I finally get something setup, I hear something bad. Wow, How frustrating.. I guess I am on the look out for some new fuge plants....Anybody have something besides caulerpa they would like to share, I have a fuge full of the grape stuff.
Thanks Mebigloser

rick58

Lets see...
- old rock can cause your tank to crash.
- a DSB can cause your tank to crash.
- caulerpa can cause - something bad with toxins, but nobody knows what.
Wow, apparently I'm the luckiest reefer in the world. I have all three in my systems (and for quite sometime) and no disaster. I am truely blessed.
:sleepy:

fender

I never had much luck with most caulerpa anyway. Halimeda does a good job and grows well in my tank and AFAIK has no downside (other than being another calcium muncher :D).