Caulpera WHAT IS GOING ON

annaflowerpower

Hey guys! Would appreciate any help. This is a fairly new tank, it completed its cycle about 1 month ago.
Problem
Off-the-charts high nitrite and nitrates, and VERY low pH.
What I recently did to the tank
Added Caulerpa Prolifera (maybe too much at once) about 2 weeks ago. Some in the sand, some wrapped around rock.
Removed fake plants which disturbed the sand bed a little bit
Ever since this, my nitrites and nitrates have been spiked and I can't control them. I've done minor water changes. Do I need to be more drastic with the changes?
Today I did a 30% water change, added buffer, added Prime, & added these "nitrate remover pads" to my filter. All this was about an hour ago and will updates results here soon.
Specs of my tank
36g Bowfront
Live Sand
36lbs live rock
2 pumps w/ 185gph each.
2 house fans clipped on the sides to keep my temperature down.
2 HOB filters (1 is for 70g and 1 is for 20g)
LED lighting. Not sure the specs but My LFS guarateed this would be good enough for Zoanthids & caulerpa. and so far my caulerpa is growing fast.
I though the Caulerpa was supposed to HELP with nitrates? Why have they spiked?
I dont see much of them dying, maybe 2 or 3 had a white tip so I rip it off.
But I've had ALOT of new growth. So Whats going on!?!?

flower

Hi,
A one month old tank is very new, nitrites mean you have not allowed it to cycle completely yet..
Prolifera or any macroalgae for that matter, does not remove nitrates right away, it takes time. However, all things in the tank from the sand to the power heads (and your fake plants), have good bacteria colonies growing on them, and removing anything, even media from a filter...also removes some of the good bacteria that the tank needs to break down ammonia. Live cured rock helps too, because the little tiny critters poop and help the cycle along, as well as the surface of the rock, allowing colonies to grow on it.
I will bet you a pretty penny that you are using API test kits. Those kits read high nitrates, and it's a false reading. No way after a 30% water change and the prolifera growing happily do you have high nitrates. There is no life in the tank except the prolifera and live rock???? Why are you adding Prime? What you need to do is toss in a chunk of raw shrimp, and let the tank cycle real good ... leave it alone to mature. Water changes slow down the whole process, it's called "soft" cycle because people do water changes to offer some relief to fish they cycle with...a chunk of raw shrimp does a better faster job.
So you need some PATIENCE Grasshopper, all good things come to those who wait.

annaflowerpower

Thanks for that!!
Yes I am using API, should I switch over? Please recommend a brand, I'll buy it immediately!
And I thought it definitely had completed, because it went through the cycle completely and was reading zero for everything for a while. When I said its a month old, I meant its been a month since the cycle COMPLETED. Unless I'm misunderstanding something...
And I'm trying to be patience, that's not the hard part. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right!

annaflowerpower

My LFS told me to add prime after a water change. Was he wrong? I thought I was supposed to use prime when my elements were out of control. Hope I'm not abusing it!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaflowerpower http:///t/396107/caulpera-wtf-is-going-on#post_3528576
My LFS told me to add prime after a water change. Was he wrong? I thought I was supposed to use prime when my elements were out of control. Hope I'm not abusing it!
Hi, I'm not trying to be harsh, but I really need to get you to understand what is going on, and learn to let the tank go, and run it's natural course. Until you add something to make ammonia the tank won't start the cycle. That's why we say use a chunk of raw shrimp...the rot starts the cycle nice and strong. If I understand you correctly, you don't have fish in the tank yet (correct me if I'm wrong). If your tank is 100% cycled, you won't see ammonia or nitrites...you will see nitrates since that is the end product of the cycle. A 30% water change and adding caulerpa that is growing nicely means the nitrates are being absorbed by the macroalgae to grow.
There is only enough good bacteria to handle the little bit of ammonia that was in the tank...your first cycle. When you removed your fake plants, you removed some of the good bacteria colonies, and the ammonia was allowed to populate. Now you have to wait for the tank parameters to readjust to the change you made. A chunk of raw shrimp is a very potent ammonia maker...it will trigger enough good bacteria to grow to handle it. If the colonies can handle a chunk of raw rotting shrimp, a new fish won't suffer a bit, nor affect a change when it's added to the system. I don't really think the prime will do any harm, but it sure was a waste of money.
Salifert, and Instant ocean are both good test kits, I use the Seachem brand myself.
If you can find a master kit it will be cheaper then trying to purchase each test separately. Here is a list of the most needed tests:

[*]
PH
[*]
Ammonia
[*]
Nitrites NO2
[*]
Nitrates NO3
Phosphates
Alkalinity or KH
Calcium
Last bit of advice...Number 1 rule of all time to always remember:
DO NOT ASK ANY LFS PEOPLE FOR ANY ADVICE ON ANYTHING. EVER, NEVER EVER, always go into the store knowing what you want or need. That includes brands of equipment you need.

snakeblitz33

I prefer Salifert or Seachem brand test kits over API.
Adding Prime to a tank and then doing tests - will get inaccurate readings no matter what brand test kits you are using. Prime will make false readings in Ammonia and Nitrite every single time, regardless which test kit you use. (yes, I said that two different ways, but sometimes it takes two different ways of saying it to sink in.)
So, make sure you are only using pure RO/DI water with a 0ppm TDS (total dissolved solids) reading for your top off water and if that water isn't pure water, then you need to find a source of pure water from the get-go. Some fish store owners don't know what TDS even means. Avoid buying water from these places, and find a water store in your area that is guaranteed 0ppm TDS.
Discontinue the use of Prime, once you have a solid source for your water - (or even buy your own RO/DI unit and make it at home,... invest in a TDS meter, or better yet, an in-line TDS meter for your RO/DI unit. The benefit of having one at home is that you can cook with it, and condition it for drinking! woohoo!
As long as your algae is growing and doing well and is not becoming overcrowded, it is doing it's job. Your water is probably just fine and you can probably even start adding some life to the tank. Just follow those few simple steps.