Center support gone... what do i do?

fmelindy

Title pretty much sums it up... the center support of my 55 gallon aquarium let go with a loud band last night. I idn't even realize what it was until this evening. What do I need to do (if anyhting) about it? Is it safe like that?

gregzbobo

I'd not trust it either, most 55 tanks I've seen are pretty thin glass, and its probably not tempered. 55's are cheap though, but it would probably be a PIA to transfer everything to a new one. Was the tank under warranty?

fmelindy

well I already have a 125 that I'm getting setup but it's not quite ready yet. I have two overflow boxes in the tank and I'm still waiting for the plumbing kits to come before its ready for prime time. I don't really want to purchase another tank right now given my current situation - do you think I will be safe for a couple of weeks?

gregzbobo

hmm, are you handy with tools and wood? Might be able to cobble together a temporary brace with some 2x4's or something that span the width of the tank, with short pieces attached at each end hanging down the sides. Dunno how your hood or lighting is setup, and it would definitely be a very short term thing, but it may work in your case.

fmelindy

Haha .... I'm not very handy at all. My construction experience and no-how is similar to the cooking experience of someone who could burn a pot of water trying to boil it!

space_geek

Originally Posted by fmelindy
well I already have a 125 that I'm getting setup but it's not quite ready yet. I have two overflow boxes in the tank and I'm still waiting for the plumbing kits to come before its ready for prime time. I don't really want to purchase another tank right now given my current situation - do you think I will be safe for a couple of weeks?
Do u have a large QT? Like 29 gallons or so? I would just throw everything in there for a couple of weeks, because it sounds to me like that 55 could just break any minute. And THAT would be a MESS!!!!!

gregzbobo

Originally Posted by Space_Geek
Do u have a large QT? Like 29 gallons or so? I would just throw everything in there for a couple of weeks, because it sounds to me like that 55 could just break any minute. And THAT would be a MESS!!!!!
Good point, we aquarium keepers ALL have quarantine tanks, don't we! :thinking:

fmelindy

My qt is only 25 gallons and is currently occupied by 50 lb of live rock that I was curing for the new tank. I haven't bought anyhting new in such a long time that I figured I could use the qt for that until I got the new tank on the go and started new acquisitions again!

rubberduck

well kit snaped because of pressure, wouldnt enough pressure to snap it be enough to break your tank, i donno what you should do, i would see if your tank bends at all

fmelindy

That's an interesting question: wouldn't enough pressure to snap the support be enough to bend the tank? Why hasn't it broken yet? It shows no sign of "bending" or warping. Am I worrying unnecessarily?

space_geek

Geez... do you really think it could break "any minute"???? :help:
:scared:
Don't mean to scare you-but you bet. I DO think it could break any minute. Why do you think they started putting center braces on 55's? They didnt on old ones, but the old ones broke. The glass on a NORMAL 55 is quite thin, and many are made quite poorly, so without the center brace, things could get scary.

space_geek

That's an interesting question: wouldn't enough pressure to snap the support be enough to bend the tank? Why hasn't it broken yet? It shows no sign of "bending" or warping. Am I worrying unnecessarily?
Its not going to bend, its going to break outward, not inward.

fmelindy

I was going to wait until the morning to do something since it's now 10 PM where I live and on Sunday night, let's just say my options for getting anything else are limited at best. I guess nobody could tell me whether it's safe to wait another 12 hours or so, can they?

space_geek

I was going to wait until the morning to do something since it's now 10 PM where I live and on Sunday night, let's just say my options for getting anything else are limited at best. I guess nobody could tell me whether it's safe to wait another 12 hours or so, can they?
Your right, NO ONE can say for sure whether you'll be safe for another 12 hours. You SHOULD be, but dont count on it. If I were you, I'd just be ready to wake up in the middle of the night, and be sure before you go to bed, to have buckets and things ready....just in case. 55 gallons of water on the floor would SUCK.

fmelindy

well the loud bang that was most definitely the center brace breaking happened last night at around 9 PM and so far I'm OK so I'll probably be OK until tomorrow but it's going to be a pretty anxious night of little to no sleep I would guess.