Center support gone... what do i do?

fmelindy

yeah, and thanks for the swift replies, it's going to be a long night. Well, I guess it would be even longer if I was looking at draining and moving a tank at this point.

unleashed

Originally Posted by fmelindy
Geez... do you really think it could break "any minute"???? :help:
:scared:
its obviously not a tempered bottom or else it wouldnt have given under the preasure the way it did.best suggestion I can give you is buy an aga tank if you want glass.2 yrs old is not that old of a tank.if this was a great lakes tank its understandable why it broke.I suggest getting that tank emptied in a hurry before the glass gives out.

mbowker

That plastic around the top of the 55 including the center brace can be replacded. It is one piece , your lfs can get you a new top plastic trim for next to nothing, and you'll have a like new tank as a quarentine for your your new setup.
This piece can be cut out with a razor knife and a new one siliconed in in about 10 minutes.

unleashed

was it the top brace or the bottom brace? both can be replaced but you still have to take down that tank and move all your stockhopefuly your new tank is a better brand

nate0729

Get yourself a piece of duct tape and tape it across the top of the tank to hold it in. If ya can't duck it f*** it.

jam marine

Hey this happened to my center brace once,not a problem,emty the tank below half,put your corals down on the sand if you have too,buy the same type silicone or glue that is used for making the aquarium,glue it back together,when u drain the tank to below half,what it is doing is taking much of the pressure of of the front glass,allow 24 to 48 hours to dry,then refill with water and inhabitants,trust me its nothing to worry about
if u want more details will be hapy to give :joy:

fmelindy

Well thanks for everyone's advice. I emptied the tank today and built a canopy for my new 125, moved all my lights and filled the tank to just below the overflow teeth. I'm going to use in-tank powerheads for now until I get my overflow plumbing worked out. That shouldn't be long. It looks great and I can sleep a lot easier tonight! Man it was a long day though.... it took me over 12 hours to do all that. Again - thanks for the advice everybody!

sw65galma

No one mentioned the easy way...Use 2 wood clamps to squeeze the tank back together.
And sandwhich the brace with some acrylic pieces and glue them all together
looks like this (in my best ascii drawing)
_______
---- ----
_______
Simple, no need to drain the tank and stronger than before.

dejaco

Absoluted don't trust it! It can be fixed however. Option one contact tank manufacturer - ie - All Glass - Perfecto - who ever. Order the top plastic mold - when it comes just empty your tank and razor old one off reglue the new one on. Option two - wood clamps - after reomving 1/3 - 1/4 of the water in tank - slowly tighten clamps to bring plastic brace back into position. Super glue crack. The cut two 1/8" plexiglass strips - one the width of the top of your brace the other the width of the bottom of your brace. Glue them on with aquarium silicone. Then pre drill front and back edges and screw in place top to bottom.
Bought 55 gal tanks at garage sales and did this myself it does work. Did it to a friends tanks and it's been good for over two years now. Option 3 - use this as a sump for your new set up - it will probably only ever be 1/2 full! Good luck!

saltydog

Originally Posted by RUBBERDUCK
well kit snaped because of pressure, wouldnt enough pressure to snap it be enough to break your tank, i donno what you should do, i would see if your tank bends at all
For the support to snap with a loud pop would seem to indicate it was under pressure. I would be adding support or moving the tank ASAP if it were me.
-Salty

lawrence

Hey Saltydog.
I have some new black plastic braces yo fit your 55G. I think that you are ok for just awhile but dont risk it if your tank gets stressed it will break for sure. Now dont freak out but you haveto repair in the next few days, You could go even 6 months but eventually the pressure will win. The braces are hard to find but ez to put on. a bit hard to get off too. You can e-mail me lawrence@cinci.rr.com I can tell you how to fix it.
good luck,
Lawrence