Chankanabb New Tank Diary 100g FOWLR!

chankanaab

Originally Posted by slowburn22
Sweet, I love the stain. Are you sure that stand is strong enough though? The supports look very small...
Thanks. The supports have been doubled up. The first picture shows only the first set of supports. Thanks for looking.

slowburn22

That sump/plumbing setup looks sweet! What size tank is this and where do I find a sump like that??? When I upgrade my tank I'm going to have to pick your brain even more.
I'm glad you doubled up the stand supports - I was worried for a second. I take it that you built the stand yourself? Did you have a single source for all of your plumbing/setup/stand build information. In lieu of you writing a book, I'll cut my questions short.
Look forward to seeing more...

trippkid

Looks very nice. Are you using any type of check valve, or are you just going to drill anti-siphon holes in the returns(especially that one in the middle, to the left of the overflow box). If not, water will drain to the lowest hole.

chankanaab

Originally Posted by slowburn22
That sump/plumbing setup looks sweet! What size tank is this and where do I find a sump like that??? When I upgrade my tank I'm going to have to pick your brain even more.
I'm glad you doubled up the stand supports - I was worried for a second. I take it that you built the stand yourself? Did you have a single source for all of your plumbing/setup/stand build information. In lieu of you writing a book, I'll cut my questions short.
Look forward to seeing more...
It's actually 2 sumps joined together. Each sump is about 30g each. The sump on the right I bought from my LFS and the on on the left I made from an old tank. The stand was DIY but I had my carpenter make it. I just gave him the plans/design that I bought online. The plumbing I had help from a employee form a LFS here. Pick my brain. Post more pics soon. I can send you the link from the site that I bought the sump from. Just send me your e-mail.

chankanaab

Originally Posted by trippkid
Looks very nice. Are you using any type of check valve, or are you just going to drill anti-siphon holes in the returns(especially that one in the middle, to the left of the overflow box). If not, water will drain to the lowest hole.
The lowest one which is the wavemaker has a check valve. The main drain from the overflow will stop flowing when the water level drops ....the sumps water level can handle the extra water that would drain into the sump. I hope I am making sense

chankanaab

totally, just trying to help, very nice setup. My 120 is set up a little like that.
Thanks for your advice...I did not intend to try to be a you know what. I am going to need all the help I can get. What's the link for your thread on your 120? Once again thank you.

trippkid

No problem, I did't want to be like that either, and I didn't realize the middle one was a drain and hooked to pump inlet. My bad. Look like no probs, just don't put nozzel down to far, they will siphon till they suck air. Like I said, you can just drill a small hole in the adapter that screws into bulkhead if needed. I don't have any pics of my tank on here, yet. Still trying to get camera to take better photos. It has been up for almost 2yrs now. Started as a FOWLR, but in the end became a reef. Just can't compete in my eyes. Have been around this hobby(lifestyle) for almost 20yrs now. Let me know if I can help.
Matt

chankanaab

No problem, I did't want to be like that either, and I didn't realize the middle one was a drain and hooked to pump inlet. My bad. Look like no probs, just don't put nozzel down to far, they will siphon till they suck air. Like I said, you can just drill a small hole in the adapter that screws into bulkhead if needed. I don't have any pics of my tank on here, yet. Still trying to get camera to take better photos. It has been up for almost 2yrs now. Started as a FOWLR, but in the end became a reef. Just can't compete in my eyes. Have been around this hobby(lifestyle) for almost 20yrs now. Let me know if I can help.
Matt

The small hole will help with siphoning? In regards to the nozzel are you talking about the returns/locklines? thanks

trippkid

Yes to the loc-line. When the the water drains to the hole, it stops the siphon. All of my return lines(3) have 1/8" holes drilled about 1/2" below water level in tank. Tank drains to this level, if no holes it would drain another 4 or 5" of DT's water to sump. You may want to do a dry(wet) run, with loc-lines where you want them, outside if possible and see what happens when you cut the power. Just a little extra insurance, hopefully not a claim.
Matt