Check out my 29 BC

anadliv

I assume its like fragging a kenya. My kenya grows so fast and it is always dropping branches, I never cut any off. They blow around sometimes but always seem to find a good place to grow. When I want one in a certain place i just put a small rock on a piece of the branch and it attaches. Also you could just wedge into a small hole in a rock,.

sazarac

I can't remember which channel it was on, but I believe it was titled Reef Predators.
It was pretty good, and one I hadn't already seen, so that was a plus! :)
The show stated the venom temporarily paralyzed the starfish, not killed it outright.
How do they "sting"? I couldn't really tell.
Saz
Originally Posted by ewetmill
http:///forum/post/2448201
Scientists don't seem to agree that they are venomous. I have read they kill with venom, and I've read that their sting anesthetizes the stars, and I've read they do neither. I personally agree with the latter based on how they ate the CC star I gave them. They flipped it upside down, and started with the tips of the legs and moved inwards towards the center. They definitely didn't kill the star with a sting because it was constantly moving its legs as they consumed it. I also don't think they anesthetized it for the same reason. One time they moved away from it for a while, and it actually flipped over and started to move away. It wasn't long before they had it flipped over again.
I have also read that they feed the star to keep it alive longer, but I couldn't tell if they were feeding it or not. Although, they did seem to stand over the mouth quite often.
They definitely have a lair and rarely leave it. They went through great effort dragging the star back to their lair. I got a picture of one that briefly left to find food, an asteria star. I will post it tonight when I get home from work.
I would love to know what show that was, so I can watch it also. Was it on Discovery channel?

ewetmill

Okay, it has been a while since I posted, but here is an update. The tank is doing well. As many others, I seem to have a hard time with fish. I lost my Lawnmower Blenny and Sixline wrasse. They both were eating and seemed healthy. About a week part, I came home from work and they were gonners. So, I have been focusing on corals lately. I got a few things from CoralJunky, and a few from my LFS. Then, on impulse last week, I got two purple firefish. So, if they don't make it, I am going to try quarantining, which I should have been doing all along, I guess. Anyway, without further ado, here are some pics:
Zoas with Ricordia

Hammer Coral

I keep forgeting what this is called. Anyone know?

Frogspawn

Ricordia

Firefish

Wammin Watermelons from Coral Junky

Full Tank Shot

ewetmill

Anyone have any luck with the CPR SR3 skimmer. It fits perfectly in the second chamber, but I couldn't get rid of the microbubbles. I had this thing in there for about 2 months. The microbubbles would subside only until I did anything to the tank. Sometimes putting my hand in the tank would raise the water level enough to set the skimmer into micro-bubble mode and would take 24 hours to subside again. I finally got fed up this weekend and took it out. Now I am contemplating putting a sump under the tank, so I can run this skimmer. I figured I could start a fuge and use the sump baffles to get rid of the bubbles from the skimmer. A standard ten gallon tank is about 2 inches too long to fit, so I guess I get to learn how to work with acrylic. Plus, I haven't figured out how to move the water from the Biocube to the sump. I have been toying with different ideas for an overflow, and even considered drilling the back of the tank in the third chamber. It is glass, but I'm not sure if it is tempered. Although I don't know why it would be. Any thoughts or suggestions?
By the way, the skimmer did an excellent job other than the bubbles.

ewetmill

Just snappin away. The firefish can't get enough when it comes to posing. Notice the harlequin shrimp in the rockwork.

Is there something lurking in the frogspawn? Here is a clue; He's the right color for today's holiday.