Check valve

hattrick58

I've installed a check valve in the plumbing from the sump to the tank. After a while it becomes inoperative due to the salt build up inside. Any recommendations on a different type check valve that avoids this proplem? Also, will standard submersable pumps (i.e. Mag 9) work to return the water from the tank to the sump? I would like to have a return other than an overflow. We've had a couple power outages this year in the middle of the night that have lasted about an hour. Fortunately, the battery back-up (good for about five minutes) has an audio warning that wakes me up so I can monitor the flow from the overflow to the sump. I'd like all the flow in the system to stop in the event of an extended power outage when I'm not home.

shanev

Im not understanding your plumbing ssetup. Do you have an overflow box now?
You dont have to have a check valve, and IMO I would NEVER rely on one to work. If your having problems whjen the electricity goes out, with your sump overflowing you have 1 of 2 problems:
1. Just too much water in your sump to begin with, not allowing for the small amount in the lines to drain back down.
2. You need a small hole either at or right above the water line where the water returns to the main tank. THis is a siphon break and will stop the siphon of water that occurs during a pump outage.

bang guy

I agree with the anti-siphon hole instead of the check valve. It's not salt build-up that makes them useless, it's calcarious animals thet grow rapidly to take advantage of the predator-free, high food load area like Vermetid snails and mini-dusters.

hattrick58

Yeah, I have the hole, it doesn't work. I know there are other check valves out there with different designs. I'll keep looking. BTY, what's "law" on how much water to keep in a sump? It seems pointless to me to have a 15 gal. sump but only keep five gal. of water in it.

shanev

I dont think there is a law, just enough room so that when power goes out, you have enough room for the water that comes back down. On my system I need 1-2 gallons room at the top for water.
IMO I would recheck the siphon break, if you rely on a Check valve, eventually you will have water on your floor.

hattrick58

Although I appreciate everyones insightfulness and wisdom concerning this subject, no one answered either question. So in essence, I wasted my time posting here as so often seems to be the case on this board.

B

bildotang

Originally posted by hattrick58
Although I appreciate everyones insightfulness and wisdom concerning this subject, no one answered either question. So in essence, I wasted my time posting here as so often seems to be the case on this board.

Hey, I'm no expert, but your making this way to complicated. Use an overflow box with an air pump, which helps start a siphon when the power returns. Use an siphon break hole on your return line. This relieves any need for additional pumps like you originally described. Besides, if you use a pump for the lines in and out of the sump, they will pump at different rates. Because the head loss of the return pump, and the flow increase of the pump going downward, you could never sets both pump to operate smoothly or match their flow rates (even with ball valves). You'd eventually burn a pump, or end up with alot of water on the floor.

krowleey

well it looks like most of it was answered, like the help with your checkvalve, not working and what to do, the only other question i see you asking is using a mag 7 to pump water from your tank to your sump, you do not want to do that, with a overflow your tank will only drain down as far as the overflow sits in the tank, it's not rocket science

shanev

I'd like all the flow in the system to stop in the event of an extended power outage when I'm not home.
To me this was the most important statement. It is what all the questions are about.
If you have 2 pumps one going from the tank to sump and one going from the sump to the tank, this will not solve your problem of stop flowing during a power outage. It will still siphon, youll still need a succseful siphon hose. There is no type of valve I would trust long term to trust this, especially not 2 like in this case.
What it does do is create new problems, you will have a hard time dialing in the flow of the two pumps, and will have to constantly mess with the settings to kepp the water level maintained. What happens when one pump stops working?
So now you will have to worry about water spills while the lights are on too. With two pumps in your system you are adding extra heat.
Do a search, and overflow is the way to go

bang guy

Any recommendations on a different type check valve that avoids this proplem?

No. Check valves will fail in a reef tank setup.
Also, will standard submersable pumps (i.e. Mag 9) work to return the water from the tank to the sump?

Yep.

gold strip

If you have an overflow now then I have to assume that your sump is below your tank as normal. In that instance do you really want a closed line running from you tank to the sump with no air break? Thats what you will have if you put a submersible in your tank. When the power goes out and your pump stops pumping, you will have an unobstructed line running from your tank to your sump and it will drain water from your tank all the way down to the pump intake. Talk about a flood!