Chloroquine Phosphate

mauler

I've been doing some reading on fish parasites and ways to kill the parasite and I came across chloroquine phosphate which seems like something that would useful to have handy. It claims to kill ich, velvet, brooklynella and uronema so if it kills all that why is no recommending it?

bang guy

My understanding is that it is also harmful to Dinoflagellates. Harm the Dino and you kill your corals.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It is an option. Its not as readily available in the hobby as copper. I would not use it except in QT. I would still go with hypo to threat saltwater ich over any medication.

mauler

It is an option. Its not as readily available in the hobby as copper. I would not use it except in QT. I would still go with hypo to threat saltwater ich over any medication.
I agree hypo is probably the best method for ich but like you said in a QT I feel like this stuff would be a great preventative for more than ich and I'm just assuming it's not as hard on the fish as copper?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There are no great med preventatives. If you use meds as a preventative, then the disease cause becomes resistant, making them less effective when actually needed. QT then treatment if disease emerges remains the best course. There are no fish vaccines.