Chocolate Star Fish ?

nanotanker

Can i have one if i have damsels? I mean will they harm each other? any answers would be greatly appreciated :help: :happyfish

teen

ive had damsels in with my chocolate chip star, i dont think there a problem unless u have seahorses because somestar fish can catch them with their long arms.

ophiura

It should not be an issue (with the damsels), but keep in mind that chocolate chip stars (and all stars) do best if added to mature tanks. At least several months old. How large is your tank, what are your water parameters? Specific gravity is also very important.
Keep in mind that these stars pose a threat to corals, snails, clams, etc. They should also be kept well fed.

mudplayerx

Keep in mind that starfish are very sensative to changes in salinity. Drip acclimation is a must and you can't miss ANY topoffs.

J

jaytreason

I've got two damsils in my smaller tank with a choc-chip star and they haven't bothered eachother at all.

ophiura

Originally Posted by NaNoTaNkEr
I want my snails to die!
, I have a 25 gallon tank fish only, and my salinity is 1.022

YOur salinity, IMO, is on the low side, and should be bumped up very slowly into the 1.024 - 1.025 range. At least 1.023...but personally higher for seastars.

vito525

Hey Nano, where is the Atlantis store in Jacksonville??? BTW there is a great LFS on the Northside on Main Street in Oceanway called Pet Solutions....Great LR, colorful, full of life and same price as Aquazoos Dead Rock LOL

shoimen

This should not be a problem, but you must remember that starfish are carnivores. They do eat other fishes...
Thus said, I had a small size (1.5"-2" tip-to-tip) chocolate chip that i received from a friend. It had been nipped at by his Fiji Puffer.
I had the chocolate in my tank with my trigger and there had not been any problems for several months. ....Until one morning, both the star and the trigger were missing. :scared:
Upon frantically looking around, I saw the star suspiciously perched in the live rock crevace where the Trigger frequently sleeps. I immediately took the live rock out of the tank and tried to get the star off of the rock. But when stressed, stars turn very hard. I could not get it off without hurting it, so i just stopped and put it back in the tank. Me pulling/tugging at it scared it enough to finally 'let go' of the rock/trigger.
I was so sure the trigger was dead.
He didnt come out for hours after that. When he emerged....sure enough, his whole rear right side had been burnt/digested/eaten by the starfish. :mad: I thought he was done for. I put in some slime coat stuff that I had and hoped for the best.
This was probobly around a year ago. The trigger has made an amazing recovery and shows barely any signs of this at all. As for the star, I had put him in another tank with my 'less important' fish. He continued by eating an entire smaller chocolate chip star.
I am now watching him VERY closely, as I have taken down my 'other tank' to create my sump/fuge for my upgrade tank, which will occur soon.
So, let it be known that bad things can happen. But don't let this deter you from buying chocolates. I have always had chocolate chips(5 total) in my tanks and I love them.

ophiura

Just to throw in, not all seastars are carnivores. In most cases, though you prove not all :D , triggers are more likely to mess with the star than vice versa. Always keep chocolate chip stars well fed, but this can never prevent them from going after some other meal if they "need" it.

nicole05

i have a chocolate star and niger trigger they have seemed to get along fine i do have a question though i noticed this morning my star was on the sand upside down i turned him over and then noticed that he had been nipped at on one leg could the trigger do this i have a damsel a per.clown why would he be laying upside ?

ophiura

Yes, the trigger could easily have done this...but it is important to rule out water quality problems as "disintegration" of the arm tips is also characteristic of trouble. How long have you had the star? What is your specific gravity?

nicole05

how do i check the gravity what kind of illnes could he have?my ammonia was a little high yesterday i have had my star for 3 wks

ophiura

Wait, how old is this tank?
The specific gravity may also be measured as salinity and is tested with a hydrometer. It is absolutely critical to know your specific water parameters - everything you can test! Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alkalinity and specific gravity.
Healthy seastars NEVER stay on their backs and should immediately begin to try and turn over.
How did you acclimate this star to your tank?
There are no seastars that are the "best" or easy to keep. All seastars, IMO, require a mature stable tank at least 6 months old. THis one can and should be fed, while others can not and need very large tanks with LR.
I am definitely concerned here

nicole05

my tank is just over a month old i am new at this and didnt realize that the meter was to test the gravity. i have a floating meter and it is in the green area that means it is ok. what do i do to save this guy i have grown very fond of him and really would be upset if he dies