cj7eagles 72 gallon...

cj7eagle

Setting up the 72 gallon... I am finally getting around to setting up the 72 gallon tank i bought back in febuary or march.
Here it is sitting empty...

I am using the closet space behind the tank for my sump. This pic is of the un-glued plumbing before i added union ball valves before and after the return pump.

here are my return lines to the tank. I used both holes in the overflow as drains and hung my 3 returns on the back. The middle one is a 3/4" sea swirl

When i leak tested the plumbing yesterday i found a small leak around the bulk head at the sump. I went to tighten it and it cracked the glass. So i sealed off the union ball valves and pulled out the pump and sump. Instead of waiting around for my new sump to get drilled i figured i would at least put in all of the live rock i had collected and at least get the tank started to cycle. Here is all of the live rock (most of which i dried out to kill anything i didnt want in the tank)

I ended up haivng a lot more rock than i needed. Which is good because we can save it for my fiances 75 gallon. Here is my tank right before i added the water.

Next thing to do is get my sump put back in the system and figure out how to work the aquacontroller jr i just picked up

R

reelbigjawn

looks good, why did you dry out the live rock and not just cure it? was it from the beach or something?

cj7eagle

Originally Posted by ReelBigJawn
looks good, why did you dry out the live rock and not just cure it? was it from the beach or something?
i bought some of it already dried out, and a lot of it was bought from a friend that had an aptasia problem
Originally Posted by MIKE22cha

Looks good. What are you going to put in there? What kind of lights are you planning on?
I am not totally sure on a stock list as of yet. I am getting a pair of black ocellaris babies from a friend, and eventually down the road a pair of mandarins. other than that, its all up in the air.
For lights i have one of the new odyssea 250w halide units.

cj7eagle

my finished sump closet/room

the display filled...

we plan on putting a fake tree or something to cover up the plumbing next to the tank.

grubsnaek

in this hobby you can never truely see it all. like the plumbing tanks looks likes it off to a great start.

gideon

hey congrats on new tank. been lurking for awhile and decided to post. ? is the odessay lights UL listed if not I would worry about fire and has anyone used this brand before they are a china made product heard on other forums there not great but inexpensive.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by cj7eagle
Thanks, hopefully using live sand and mostly live rock, my cycle will be over by next week

Tank is coming along nicely.

Since you dried out your rock you are not going to get a cycle as if you used uncurred live rock. I would stick a raw shrimp in and be sure it cycles before you buy fish this week. If you never see an Ammonia spike your tank has not cycled, so watch for it. IMO, I think getting fish this weekend will be to soon. Remember, patience is the best thing to have for a saltwater tank.

reefer545

I agree with the above. This weekend is TOO soon. You r rock sould cylcle without a shrimp though. Plus, I am led to think that your cycle will last for a couple weeks at least, as any die off is being released in to the system. Good Work on everything. I love tanks with hidden sumps, fuge, etc. Keep up the good work, and the pics.

cj7eagle

I have already gone through a cycle. My ammonia and nitrates went up and back down to zero already. Not all of the rock was dried out. I had 4 or 5 pieces of live rock that i had in my established temp tank. And the rock that was dried out, had been sitting out for about two months before i put it in the tank. I am pretty sure most anything that was there is now gone.
I've also just added a damsel that i had in my temp tank, to the fuge. I will watch again to be sure there is not another ammonia/nitrite spike. I am sure though things will be fine.

azfishgal

Sounds good then, I didn't know some of your rock was actually live. And I have to say, I usually think putting Damsels in a DT for a short time is not smart because they are so hard to catch, BUT putting it in your fuge.... brilliant idea.

Originally Posted by azfishgal
Sounds good then, I didn't know some of your rock was actually live. And I have to say, I usually think putting Damsels in a DT for a short time is not smart because they are so hard to catch, BUT putting it in your fuge.... brilliant idea.

I agree with that 100%. I put a Damsel in my DT when I first started to cycle it, and still can't get the little monster out of there.
He is like a little demon running around creating havoc...