clam question

tanksalot

I got a clam about a month ago, it seems to be doing fine but what I was wondering was every once in awhile it will (for lack of better words) spit out water and spin around. Then it will stay in that spot for awhile and do this again. Is this normal? Here is a picture of when i got him, the second pic is yesterday? does he look ok.

nas19320

What kind of lighting is it under? Clams tend to move to situate themselves according to current or because they are unhappy with their location

bang guy

They also do this to clear their filters occationally.
I would suggest burying a flat rock beneath it. If it's happy where it is it will send out byssal threads & attach there. It's a Derasa, right??

tanksalot

It was sold as a Derasa, I am in process of taking out all cc. would he stay put on just a rock with semi bare bottom?

bang guy

Semi-Bare bottom = Attaching to the glass. Not a terrible thing but rocks are easier to move than the bottom of your tank :D

tanksalot

are the byssal threads considered his foot? (I know dumb question) Because he will (at least he seems to) attach to the bottom, but then it will spin. Its never in the same position when I get home. I have the 2-250W mh plus two 110W vho, is that enough light for him? I think it is enough, but what do you guys think?

viper_930

are the byssal threads considered his foot?
The byssal threads are what it uses to attach itself to a rock so that it stays put. 2-250w mh lights is more than enought for the deresa. you can even keep a maxima with that lighting.

tanksalot

One more quick question, since I have removed most of the cc is there something else that is small or flat, some kind of a shell or something I could put in the tank for the clam to attach to. I tried a rock but I dont have one flat enough, and I dont have enough substrate to bury the rock for the clam to sit on without it falling over.