clam question.

mr.clownfish

all those really pretty clams,Deresa, Maxima, Squasoma, Crocea... and any other photosynthetic clam, do i need to spot feed them like scallops? My lfs said i have to everyday or every other day, or else they will die. im not so sure, im going to have some in the near future and just wanna make sure.

meowzer

From what I have heard you only have to feed them if they are smaller than 3"....I have a squamosa from SWF that is a little over 3" I have not spot fed it, and it is doing great....my tank is over 1 year old though, I have metal halides, and good water quality....I am sure it gets what it needs from the water....

jackri

Lenght, although I've had my maxima for about a year and a half and it's almost 3". I've never spot fed it and it's doing fine but I also think scraping the glass with a magnet cleaner gets it some food as well.
If you do spot feed them make sure you get the right micron food -- too large can clog up the gills and I would "area" feed it vs. directly spot feed it.

spunky

i got my maxima at about 1 1/2" and have never fed it anything special and itis fine grows like a champ :)

lorene

OOOH I am jealous! I want a Maxima SOOO badly! I dont think I have the right lighting (according to my lfs) for a Maxima. (29 Biocube stock lighting).
I do have a cleaner oyster/clam (how do you tell the diff?) but he doesnt have all those cool colors to him.
Maybe with my next tank.......??
No WONDER the hubby took all my credit cards away!

jackri

Originally Posted by Lorene
http:///forum/post/3159145
I do have a cleaner oyster/clam (how do you tell the diff?) but he doesnt have all those cool colors to him.
The difference is the symboitic zooangethalle (I probably spelled it wrong from memory) living inside the clam's mantle that give the giant clams their color. That's what provide 98% of the food for the clam at around 3" + and they get their food from lighting in nature.
I'm tired but that probably makes more sense in my own head