Clam Recommendations

s/g5588

My girlfriend and I are looking to buy and clam. We would like some recommendations on what to buy. We have a 75 Gallon tank with 300 watts of MH 10,000 k and 72 watts of compact lighting. What kind of clams could we keep and how do we take care of them. The price doesnt matter either. Thanks in advance.:)

bang guy

I suggest you start with a 3.5" Squamosa. Then see how it does. I'm sure it can live & grow in your tank. From there you might consider changing to 500 watts of MH for a maxima or Crocea :)
Good luck!

gregzbobo

I have that book, its a good read. There are a few times you might get a tad lost because of the translation from German, but its an excelent read.

jpribelin

I have a squamosa, derasa, and a maxima in my 75 gallon under 440 watts of VHO, in a month they all have very noticable growth and are doing great. I love my maxima the most :)

mlm

I bought the Maxima from this site last week. It seems to do well in my tank but it has not attached it self yet. Does anyone here know how long they usually take to attach themselves?

fishieness

Originally Posted by Shnabbles
Why dont you recommend one smaller then 3 inches?
I just picked one up and its less then 2 inches i believe.
cause ones less than 3 inches do not have a large enough mantle to suport theirselves. They need heavy feedings at least every other day. every day would be better, use DTs phyto plankton. IMO, thats the best. you can bowl feed it too so that not so much gets in your tank. take out some water and put it in a bowl with the clam, put in some DTs and leave it there for about half an hour. dont add too much or it could choke the clam. then afterwards take the clam and put it back in your tank and then discard the water. however, unless the clam is attached to a small rock or a clamshell, this would be difficult. cause you cant realy take out a large rock. in this case, you are jsut going to have to make sure that you feed your tank often but not so much to mess up your levels the tiniest bit. do not squirt the clam with phyto with something like a pipette, this will cause a negative respost and cause the clam to just throw it all back up.

shnabbles

which end of the clam is the mouth... the

[hr]
or the opening?
I do have some DT's
and its foot is attached to a small rock

fishieness

the mouth is the opening. the

[hr]
is well.... the other end. like i said, dont target feed the clam though. they like to feed over the period of the entire day usualy.