Clam Suggestions

I really want to do a couple of clams. What are some good looking clams? Some "rare" ones I should keep an eye out for? Also, if you have any tips or tricks on caring for one, do not hesitate to post!
Thanks, Justin

bigmac

IMO, your tanks too small for clams....if you feel you must then you might want to try a Crocea...if you have good lighting

Ehh, 20g Long 30"x 12" x 12"
40lbs LR
20lbs LS
100w 6500K Metal Halide
20w Actinic
Penguin 170 BioWheel
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 50-60ppm (High I know, but probably because of the crushed coral right? My tank has been fishless for about two months. I am contemplating the purchase of a DeNitrifying Chamber.)
Temp. 79-81F
Rio 200 Powerhead
Rio 50 Powerhead
Tank is 7 months old.
1 Purple Lobster
1 Fire Shrimp
7 Hawaiian Zebra Hermits
2 Blueleg Hermits
2 Trochus Snails
Hawaiian Feather Duster
Grn Montipora Cap. (Plating)
Pink Acropora
Grn Brain
Yellow Deep Sea Gorgonian
Pink Star Polyps
Grn Star Polyps
...and a whole lotta other stuff! :D
Thanks guys. Also, why does tank size affect a non-mobile clam?
Justin

justinx

In the proper conditions they get really big really fast. I would stay away from clams in your tank . . . . I had a maxima that tripled in size . . . . in LESS than one year.

mossad327

That's not entirely true. Look up some of Brooklyn Johnny's posts. He has a nano-setup with I think two clams in there. His might be the exception, I'm not sure, but it is possible with success.

Come on guys. Of course it is possible. I know PLENTY of people with large tanks that will gladly purchase my "overgrown" clam. Is it bad if I say, "I'll get a two incher and will just sell it when it gets too big?" My LFS would love that probably.
Also, what do people do with their clams when they get too large?
Justin

dburr

Study up on clams and you will see some get real big and some do not. Not as big as your tank anyway. BTW, IMO you should get the nitrates down first.

spsfreak100

Originally posted by JustinX
In the proper conditions they get really big really fast.

That's not entirely true. Look up some of Brooklyn Johnny's posts. He has a nano-setup with I think two clams in there.
If Brooklyn Johnny had metal halides, most likely his clams would grow much quicker than they are now.
Justin,
I think the best clam for your setup would be a T. Squamosa. They are generally easy to care for and don't get too
big. I would recommend you first get your nitrate down.
Remember, do as much reaserch as possible before you buy :)
Take Care,
Graham

bigmac

Originally posted by oO BubbaGump Oo
Also, what do people do with their clams when they get too large?

I doubt very much you'll have this problem.....
Chris is right about the squa's. They grow way to fast for a small tank. I added 3 to my 150 and found out in just a few months they had to go.

marvida

Brooklyn Johnny will be the first to tell you to NOT use his nano as an example. He is an advanced hobbyist and his tank is the exception rather than the norm.

bang guy

If you're diligent about tank conditions I believe a Maxima could thrive in your tank. I'd suggest starting with one at least 3 inches long and place it centered under the halide.
I don't understand the concern about Nitrate by the previous posters. Clams thrive with Nitrate. In fact, adding a Tridacna clam will definately lower your nitrates as they make very good filters.
There are a few concerns about small tanks.
1 - The Clam may outgrow it.
2 - Stability of water parameters, temp, salinity, PH, etc.
3 - Small clams require more phytoplankton than you can reasonably add to a small tank.

tiffster

Hi! I agree with bang guy. I have had a maxima in a 15 tall (with ten gallon sump) since March and he is doing wonderfully. I keep water params stable and calcium high. I do feed it marine snow when I feed my corals. He has a white margin on his shell and hasn't lost a bit of color!
If you could add a sump that would help out with keeping things stable. ( more water volume)
Good luck
Tiff

marvida

I've been researching maximas since you began this thread & one thing about target feeding; Apparently you have to get a lot of phyto in the water column but not exactly target feed. Their gills can get clogged if they are aggressively target fed. The LFS has a couple of 2" ultras for $30.00 that are absoulutely amazing. I may have to try one.
Good luck!

bang guy

Right... never target feed a clam. I have heard of people having success by removing the clam and placing it in a bucket of phytoplankton for 15 - 20 minutes a day.

bigmac

Originally posted by oO BubbaGump Oo
You know what guys, I love you!
Thanks for the valuable info, as far as phyto, I should of course target feed the clam right?
Justin

Just goes to prove that if your thread hangs around long enough you'll always get the right answer.