Clean Up Crew For Lions?

rastaangel

Well like the title says I am wonderign what the best candidates for a clean up crew for lion fish would be? I know these thigns will eat anything they can fit in there mouth so most of the smallers crabs and shrimp are out... I havent decided which species yet so it could be dwarfs or some of the big boys.
Any suggestions?

fmarini

I've had no issues keeping: starfish, cukes, urchins, and hermit crabs in a tank full of lionfish.
Depending on the eel and trigger type its a different story. peebletoothed eels(zebra, snowflake, chainlink) and some fangtoothed eels (such as golden morays) will not bother starfish, hermits & cukes. Others will.
In regards to triggers-- planktonic-feeding triggers (bluechin, pinktail, nigers, etc) wont bother starfish, urchins or cukes and depending on how big the hermit are- they might be left alone- Any trigger w/ its mouth facing forward will feast on hermits, urchins, and nip at stars& cukes- petty much NO cleanup crew

jarrod13

I throw in snails since no one has mentioned it yet, any kind would be safe with lions, big or small is fine

95harley

Originally Posted by jarrod13
http:///forum/post/3257859
I throw in snails since no one has mentioned it yet, any kind would be safe with lions, big or small is fine
For Eels & Lions
+1...Snails, Snails, and more snails.
Maybe a few hermits as well. I say few so they don't hunt your snails.
For Lg Wrasses and Triggers you may be out of luck with ANY cleaning crew. They will crush and eat almost everything.

srfisher17

IMO, a CUC is the most over-rated and unnecessary invention in the history of this hobby. Great marketing job though!

S

saxman

IMHO, it's all in determining the CORRECT CUC for a given system. i agree that the "marketing" thing is wrong, as how can anyone but the aquarist know what their system needs?

srfisher17

I guess i was a little crabby on my post above. Crabs, snails, etc, can add a lot of appeal to a tank. Snails may even be slightly beneficial. My gripe is with the growing misconception that a "CUC" is a vital part of success in our hobby. It isn't. I've seen countless posts, mostly from new hobbiests, who have been sold the idea that adding a "CUC" is an important step in establishing a healthy tank; almost as important as cycling, proper lighting, etc. If you like the little critters, and they fit into your set-up---great. But if they don't---no big deal. Also, (IMO), keeping hermits in a tank that uses LR to produce pods and other small food items, is a mistake. Hermit crabs are carnivores and compete with the fish that eat the food produced in the LR.