Clean up Crew

kathyc

Hey Everyone! I have a 55 gallon FOWLR tank. I have about 50 lbs. of sand and about 40 lbs. of live rock. What kind of clean up crew should I have in there and what is something good to keep the sand sifted?
Thanks for any help!

meowzer

If I remember correctly you just started this tank right? How are your water parameters doing?
IMO for a 55g I would get nassarius snails, cerith snails, some astrea snails, maybe 1-2 mexican turbos, a couple of emerald crabs
BUT...Not all at once...after your initial cycle, I would add just a few snails...test water, after a few days of 0 readings, you can add a few more any then a first fish

kathyc

I did, but it was an established tank. It has been up for about 5 years. I just moved it. The parameters are great! I added all the water from my 30 gallon and topped it off with some of the tanks previous water and some new water. The sand is in desperate need of cleaning. The previous owner didn't clean the sand and had no clean up crew. I don't want to stir it up and get the parameters all crazy. I have about 10 hermits that were in my 30. There are some snails in there that were in there, but they are tiny. I can't even tell what kind they are. There are also alot of small starfish. Smaller than a dime! Any ideas on these?

meowzer

If the stars are white then they are probably asterina stars...harmless
Good snails for sand are nassarius, and cerith...also the fancy nassarius are large and do a good job burrowing.....for a sand sifter I just got a longfin goby...this thing never stops..