cleaner clam

ginarox

Originally Posted by JesikaRose
i just started up my 75 can i put these guys in already everything is pretty much cylce and i live way inland like western kentucky... do you think walmart sells them
how funny i was thinking the same thing.....sorry ....ginarox

bowser220

My littleneck clams are in the tank. How long until they move under the sand? Do cleaner clams need certain lights? I have 260 watts on a 72 gallon.

bowser220

I had five in my tank. They all died within 2 days! Is it possible the littlenecks were fresh water? The grocery store said they were salt water but all five died quick. Any ideas? I did burp them

ninjamini

Originally Posted by bowser220
I had five in my tank. They all died within 2 days! Is it possible the littlenecks were fresh water? The grocery store said they were salt water but all five died quick. Any ideas? I did burp them

Did you check to see if they were alive in the first place? When you get them home put them in a bucket covered with salt water. If they open up and stick out a foot then they are alive. If they open up and ask for hot sauce then they are an aphrodisiac.
Do not forget to aclimate. They will burry within the week. They are not photosynthetic so go ahead and add them with your night light on. When they die they will come up out of the sand and show themselves. There is no down side to these guys. There cheap, there hidden, and there beneficial.
Lets get someone to do some scientific tests. If no one else volunteers it will be something I do when the new tank is set up.

bowser220

They were alive when i got them home and I did acclimate them. They opened up and my cleaning crew did the rest within two days.

gatorwpb

My grocery store gave me 4 for free, 1 was dead and within 2 days 2 more had died, similar to what happened to you. I burped and acclimated.
The last one is alive and doing great. I guess its luck of the draw.

gatrpetvet

GatorWPB- I'm also a gator in WPB! Anyways what store around here gave them to you for free? I would love to try......would pay but just curious where you got them?

gatorwpb

GO GATORS!! :jumping:
I got them at the Publix at City Place, which also gave me a free raw shrimp when I started my cycle. I was nervous when the guy gave me the clams free cuz a cop was standing right next to me... haha

luca_brasi

Did you check to see if they were alive in the first place? When you get them home put them in a bucket covered with salt water. If they open up and stick out a foot then they are alive. If they open up and ask for hot sauce then they are an aphrodisiac.
:)

cagrn

After reading this thread yesterday I went and picked up 2 at the Albertson's. The girl behind the counter didn't seem to think 2 was a strange request.
I've seen a whiteish tongue looking thing come out of one of the two, is that the foot?
Thanks again to all above for saving me some $$.

cagrn

alright, so I've seen both open up slightly and stick out what I am assuming is the foot.
The odd thing is when I woke up and turned on the lights this morning, the one that I saw open up and check things out second had burried itself. The first one, which opened up the other night when I put them in doesn't appear to have moved. It did stick out its foot, so I'm not going to remove it just yet.
:notsure:

gatorwpb

The one clam that survived buried himself. Hes in the fuge somewhere under the sand but I cant see him, so i figure he's doing his job haha

R

reeffer

ninjamini said:
???a bucket covered in saltwater??? why does that make no sense to me?? do you mean put them in a bucket of salt water?? or just put them in a bucket and drip them with tank water?