Cleaner Crew for 10 Gallon

howardj

I cannot decide one what to get for my cleanup crew, so I ask you all, Please help

I am definitely getting:
5 Nassarius Snails
I was also thinking about Scarlet Leg Hermit Crabs (?)

kaingers

Nassarius snails are where it's at, be sure to have a solid 2-3 inch aragonite subgrade. I have 5 nassarius snails in my 20G along with a conch, they seem to keep the sand looking great.
I would recommend red, blue, or scarlet hermits. somewhere in the range of 2,6,2 ratio for a 10g. I don't think you can have too many hermits?, just be sure to have some extra shells for them to change out.
I would pick up a turbo snail as well as a half dozen Astraea snails.
If you want to go all out get a emerald crab to manage bubble algae, and a cleaner shrimp.

bigpete

Originally Posted by kaingers
http:///forum/post/2517201
Nassarius snails are where it's at, be sure to have a solid 2-3 inch aragonite subgrade. I have 5 nassarius snails in my 20G along with a conch, they seem to keep the sand looking great.
I would recommend red, blue, or scarlet hermits. somewhere in the range of 2,6,2 ratio for a 10g. I don't think you can have too many hermits?, just be sure to have some extra shells for them to change out.
I would pick up a turbo snail as well as a half dozen Astraea snails.
If you want to go all out get a emerald crab to manage bubble algae, and a cleaner shrimp.

couldnt have said it better myself. all that you need in a 10 gal. my only piece of advice is to keep hermits low, maybe 1 or 2. i've always had bad expiriences with hermits and snails in the same tank. other than that, go nuts.

howardj

I was thinking:
5 Nassarius Snails
3 Scarlet Hermits
3 Astrea Snails
1 Turbo Snail
(?) sound good to you guys?
I don't have a lot of spending money, But I like the skunk cleaner shrimp a lot

I think I'm getting 3 sexy shrimp instead.. for the look.

1journeyman

And avoid a 3 inch sand bed... at that depth your sand is too deep to get properly cleaned and the bottom layer will not be deep enough for an anaerobic layer.
Sand beds-Go shallow or go deep. There is no in between (to paraphrase Yoda)

bang guy

Originally Posted by HowardJ
http:///forum/post/2518791
lol. Thanks guys

I read about the sandbed when starting up, fickle things, eh?
They are very fickle for small tanks. I'm a DSB fan but for a 10 gallon I'd recommend about 1/2" of sand.