cloudy tank

kdsealyon

I know this is an old thread, but I have a question. My gobies see red flakes just fine, but anything else they miss. What should I do?

pegasus

Simple... feed more red flakes!

Just kidding... they're probably not missing the other flakes. It's just easier for them to see the red, and they associate it with food. Try to feed other colored flakes at mealtime, and see if they'll figure it out. Perhaps they like the taste of the red flakes better, but in the long run, it'll be better for them if they eat a variety of food.

bang guy

Try Cyclop-Eeze or Mysis Shrimp. Better for the fish and better for the system. Flaked food is very nutritious. Unfortunately, a lot of the nutrition dissolves into the water before the fish can eat it.

kdsealyon

Simple... feed more red flakes!

Just kidding... they're probably not missing the other flakes. It's just easier for them to see the red, and they associate it with food. Try to feed other colored flakes at mealtime, and see if they'll figure it out. Perhaps they like the taste of the red flakes better, but in the long run, it'll be better for them if they eat a variety of food.

I love the idea, but agree with you. They need to eat other foods. I read that fish flakes contain phosphates which is why I am concerned. I fed them chopped up bloodworms several times, and they just ignored them lol. I'll try again. I was hoping you had a trick up your sleeve Pegasus. Thanks for replying.

kdsealyon

Try Cyclop-Eeze or Mysis Shrimp. Better for the fish and better for the system. Flaked food is very nutritious. Unfortunately, a lot of the nutrition dissolves into the water before the fish can eat it.
I have some of those in the freezer. I'll go ahead and try again. I tried freeze dried and those things just floated even after soaking. ~grr~

bang guy

All fish food will have Phosphates. Phosphate is a needed nutrient. The problem with flaked food is that the Phosphates often dissolve into the water faster than the fish can eat it.

Let them get hungry if you want to switch foods. I mean HUNGRY.

kdsealyon

All fish food will have Phosphates. Phosphate is a needed nutrient. The problem with flaked food is that the Phosphates often dissolve into the water faster than the fish can eat it.

Let them get hungry if you want to switch foods. I mean HUNGRY.
Okay, if they don't eat what I feed them tonight, I'll skip a couple of days and then feed them. Thank you all for your needed advice.

kdsealyon

Looks like my gobies will have to starve. They swim up to the shrimp and then turn their little fins up at it and move on looking for something they prefer.

pegasus

Looks like my gobies will have to starve. They swim up to the shrimp and then turn their little fins up at it and move on looking for something they prefer.
Won't eat mysis? Wow... those are some stubborn fish. What kind of flake food are you feeding them? I've had a few brands that some of my fish wouldn't touch. I tried different varieties, and settled on my current brand... Cobalt Mysis Spirulina. I don't have a single critter that doesn't go crazy at meal time. I know it's not recommended, but it's the only thing I feed my fish other than some frozen mysis about once every month or two. I have a lot of healthy fish with healthy appetites, and it's nice not having to supplement this or that for different fish. Carnivores to herbivores, they all gobble it up. Plus... it's low in Phosphate! :D

kdsealyon

BettaMin Tropical Medley is the red flake food. I'm going to go see of Cobalt Mysis Spirulina is on amazon. Thanks

lmforbis

My Naso isn't the best eater. He eats algae sheets and flakes. I feed a wide variety including spiroline brine, mysis, a hikari seaweed frozen food, emerald entree. He won't touch any of it but goes nuts for flakes. Doesn't make sense to me. Sometimes they are just picky like my granddaughter.

kdsealyon

My Naso isn't the best eater. He eats algae sheets and flakes. I feed a wide variety including spiroline brine, mysis, a hikari seaweed frozen food, emerald entree. He won't touch any of it but goes nuts for flakes. Doesn't make sense to me. Sometimes they are just picky like my granddaughter.
My crab is picky too. Whoever said crabs will eat anything hasn't met Little Toot. She will not eat seaweed at all. She shoves it out of the way. She will not eat the same meat every day. It has to be something new, She has the choice of a piece of silverside, krill, clams,bloodworms, or mysis. The only leftovers she likes is food she has chewed up and stored under little rocks which she uncovers and snacks on. She is a trip! Oh and she likes her crab treat pellets and molts every two weeks.