Clown choices

Williej

Hi,

This site has always been my goto for research. I have searched this section looking for specific info to no avail. So, here is my question. The photo is of my anemone. It has been in my 75 gallon tank for several years and is quite happy but a little lonely. I am looking for a peaceful clown that will live in harmony with the other tank inhabitants. I currently have 7 Chromis, a yellow Wrasse, and a Lawnmower Blenny. I plan to add one Flame Angle (last) and another "centerpiece" fish. I used to have a Domino Damsel that loved it, but he got too abusive with the Chromis so he lives in another tank now. My research says oscilaris or percula will be the most docile. My only sticking point is that I am not really a fan of "Nemo" looking clowns.

I am looking for specific fish suggestions in the $50 range as well as centerpiece suggestions.

Thank you.

Attachments

bang guy

You have a "rose" BTA. It will host any Clownfish I know of.

I agree with what you were advised, A. Percula is the most docile Clownfish followed closely by A. Ocellaris.

Have you Considered a Cinnamon Clown?

Williej

Bang guy
Thanks for moving it. Rose bubble tip is what I've always called it, so thanks for the conformation. He came in as an unnoticed hitch hiker. Now there are 4 of them, the other two are smaller. The LFS owner is really good at what he does and we have had several seahorse conversations (that tank is about a year old and I can't wait to get a set). Lately, he is hard to catch because he does tank maintenance as part of the services he offers. So, I haven't had a chance to ask him about the clowns.
Everything I have read says that Cinnamon Clowns are fairly aggressive and I don't want him to chase the Chromis into hiding the way the Domino did.
My wife says if I get Nemo, I have to get Dori. Is the Blue Hippo Tang ok in my 75? This site says 40 gallon minimum. Not a fan of the movie reference, but they are a beautiful animal. Might have to suck it up on this one. Then The Flame Angel. After that, MORE CORALS!!!
Researching a fuge with a 29G long that I have, But that is a whole separate thread.

Thanks again.

lmforbis

Way too small for a hippo tang. I'd say minimum of a 6 foot long tank. How about a skunk clown.

jay0705

Have you thought about a single maroon clown? I only say this bc ur only looking for a single and pairing them can be tricky. I have one in my 29. While they are known for being aggressive, mine bothers nothing. While hosting aggression can be elevated, but in a 75 I would think u have plenty of room. Just an idea. Mine is housed w a spotted, mandy, yellow tail damsel, saddle puffer, dwarf lion, and scooter blenny.

lmforbis

I have one maroon clown as well. She's a beautiful fish. Only thing she has issues with is my mag float glass cleaner. She'll fight that to the death but has no issues with the other fish.

pegasus

Probably best not to mix clowns. You might get lucky if you introduce them while young enough and simultaneously, but it often doesn't work out with different types.

jay0705

Agreed. I like maroons bc of how big they do get, but have little doubt it wouldn't end well for any other clowns. Mine has been a model citizen for almost 2yrs now, but she is the only clown.

bang guy

Probably best not to mix clowns. You might get lucky if you introduce them while young enough and simultaneously, but it often doesn't work out with different types.
Yeah, this is true. There are cases of Ocellaris/Maroon hybrids. Quite rare though.

As a guess I think it was probably a male Maroon as I can't see a female maroon accepting an Ocellaris. Strange things do happen occasionally though.