Clown fish getting aggressive

Vgaines

i have had my clown fish for over a year and suddenly she attacks my hand every time I put it in the water. If I’m doing a water change, taking a water sample, etc. lord forbid I try to move a rock. I added a smaller clown about three months ago and they did the whole “ who’s going to be the dominant one” thing and now they are together all the time. The smaller clown has now gotten bigger but still seems to be the submissive one. ( both are aprox 1 1/2 inches long). My question is will Luke and Leia bully any new fish I get. I’m planning on getting an aquacultured mandarin in the next few months and I’m kinds worried that Leia will attack any other fish I add. Would it be ok or should I add another tank to my collection and move the clowns so I can add more fish to my existing tank. Btw. It’s a 29 gal cube FOWLR tank.
Thanks

lmforbis

The tank is small so you may have long term issues with bullying. As for the mandarin, your tank is way too small to support a mandarin.

Vgaines

The tank is small so you may have long term issues with bullying. As for the mandarin, your tank is way too small to support a mandarin.
I understand that mandarin’s are a challenging fish to keep. That is why I’m going to spend the extra money to get a aquacultured/tank raised one. They eat frozen, flakes, and pellets as well as live foods like copepods and baby brine shrimp. I hatch my own brine shrimp as well as have a copepod culture going already. I will be upgrading in the future and will move the mandarin to the larger tank. My son is getting a aquarium for his birthday and if need be I’ll move the clowns to his tank and they can have it all to themselves.

jay0705

Biting in clowns is normal. I have 4 clowns. 3 occ and a maroon. The only one that doesn't bite me is the maroon lol. They generally leave new fish alone. DO NOT ,add any more clowns tho

Vgaines

No plans for any more clowns. Lol. Princess Leia is awfully brave for such a tiny fish. Lol. I have had here for a year and she’s still only maybe an inch long. She eats like a pig and always begs me for food. Lol. My son wants black clowns so I’m hoping I can keep Luke and Leia in my tank. She never bothers anyone else in the tank so I’m hoping it stays that way.

jay0705

Word of warning, blacks start showing orange as they get older. Mine is a black body w orange lips. She is 3 yrs old

If your pair was purchased as juveniles, this could just be aggression manifesting themselves as they get older. However, ocellaris (particularly captive bred ones) aren't generally very aggressive ... unless they're breeding. Check around the tank to 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 see if there might be any eggs.

Last edited: