clown id?

krishj39

I agree, looks like an adult black and white percula. This fish looks amazing when true black and white, but I don't care for them when they are just a dark orange and brown and black and white.

akinda

i thought they had an orange face and look at his fins edged in blue every pic i see of a total black clown has blue fins. b/w are mostly black with a orange face as an adult right?

meow

It is NOT a b&w percula, it's a maroon clown. The picture was obviously altered. Whoever did it simply made the clown black and white and left everything else in color. If that was a real black and white clown, it wouldn't be TOTALLY in grayscale, there would be SOME hint of color on him, either from the lights or the reflection from other colors in the tank.

akinda

i think it was altered some but i dont think they made it b/w because of where the pic came from guess it could have but highly doubt it they have a pic of a maroon thats real red and he looks diff.

meow

okay see the blue light that is shining on the other objects in the picture? if the clown wasn't made black and white, and it really was a black and white clownfish, you would see a hint of the blue light on him as well, but he is in grayscale. no hint of color whatsoever. sorry, but natural things aren't in grayscale.
its a scam.

meow

okay, so the clownfish you posted isn't a maroon clown, as it doesn't have cheek spines, but still an altered picture.

lutz493

That picture on top is of a Percula - If that picture is altered in someway, that I do not know.
However, to answer the original question - That is supposed to be a Black/White Percula (Altered picture or not).
I've got a mated pair in my tank - The male has a brown face while my female has an all black face with a hint of brown on her lips and nostrils.
Under my VHOs, the fins have a tint of blue, and the fishes white bands also show up in a tint of blue.

akinda

ok thnx and meow i understand its just i dont see this place where i got that pic goin and doin that all other pic are perfect no alters except to bring out color a little more it a website where they sell lights and show what the fish look like under them.

krishj39

I don't see how a true black and white perc is so hard to accept. Rare, yes, but certainly very possible. That said, yes it is also possible the picture was altered, but it isn't certain just because a black and white perc would be impossible.

akinda

i agree its a perc just looked wierd ive seen 10 diff pics and he looks the same every time. i accept its a true black and white perc.

bang guy

Originally posted by krishj39
I don't see how a true black and white perc is so hard to accept.

I've really never heard of one. The Onyx is the closest i've heard about and they look significantly different and still have quite a bit of Orange.
I've seen B&W Ocellaris lately, quite a few. I could accept it if someone said it was Ocellaris, but not a Percula.

krishj39

Uh, yes indeed, I do mean ocellaris, or false percula. My assumption is that the others also meant false perc not perc so I also failed to make the distinction.

akinda

but thats what im saying look at bangs his has an orange face. and its a ocellaris. thats also what i meant isa ocellaris but i meant maybe from the wil with the black face?but ive never seen b/w sold from wild