Clown-keeper99 55 gallon reef tank diary

after have my tank wiped out this January I am just starting to get back on my feet
I add 2 yellowtail damsels and a peice of leather coral last friday and all is doing well
Hermie the keys stowaway also shows no intrist in my coral
some pics of the tank:
a full tank shot, still some algea but its almost gone

my leather coral

one of my yellowtails

Well the Orange clown didn't make it one night in the tank and the anemone is struggling
I'm leaving for out of town and I'm afraid the anemone might die and nuke my tank
any help

the anemone was not good and I cut my losses and froze the thing
I'M DONE WITH ANEMONES
they never live in my tanks and are just a waste of money

does anyone know of a good anemone substitute
I have some frogspawn coming in and am wondering if that might make a surrogate host for my clowns
also will I need to dose calcium for frogspawn and candycane corals
I do weekly water changes with instant ocean sea salt
is this enough for them?

snakeblitz33

If you're going to keep corals, you'll need a higher calcium and alkalinity salt than regular Instant Ocean. Instant Ocean Reef Crystals would be great with weekly water changes if you didn't want to add any calcium and alkalinity supplements.
Tropic Marin and Aqua Vitro also have pretty high calcium and alkalinity levels. Saltwater Correct brand allows you to add the calcium after you mix the salt... It just depends on what you want and what your budget is.

acrylic51

Wow!!!!!!!!!!! Before you start dosing anything test before hand.......
As far as changing salts, Snake your off base as well.....You have no proof that IO can't maintain a reef......Make up a batch of water and take readings on your current salt mix before you go "hog wild" switching brands.....There are plenty of folks keeping corals that only utilize IO......

well I started using IO reef crystals so I could maintain a 300ppm calcium level
my leather has done well but how much calcium do these types of lps need?