Clown Losing Color...?????

jake15

My male true perc clown is losing color. It was a great healthy looking fish in my 10 gallon. When i moved him into my 29, i also added an anemone. Thats when things went down hill with the color. He has lost color since then and looks unhealthy but eats and swims fine. He sleeps in the anemone and the female does not. However they both go in it. He is normal besides the color loss still dances and shows off. Its just puzzling. I hope he isnt sick...if it comes to it i have no problem getting rid of the anemone.
He looks almost like he has a greyish shed of skin around him.
Thanks,
Jake

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How long have you had the clowns? Is there any possibility that he has brooklynella? If not, he is likely reacting to the stings of the anemone? What type of anemone is it?
Also, is that a bottle you have in that tank?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Jake15
he is more white than what the picture shows
Have you looked in the disease pictures at the top of this forum to see if it is brooklynella? Take a look at the pics. If it is brook it needs to be treated immediately with formalin baths.

jake15

Originally Posted by Beth
How long have you had the clowns? Is there any possibility that he has brooklynella? If not, he is likely reacting to the stings of the anemone? What type of anemone is it?
Also, is that a bottle you have in that tank?
I have had the clowns for about a year
I do not think there is any way it has brooklynella (they are in a 29 alone) I took some better pics so you hopefully can get a better look at it.
The anemone is a LTA
Ya thats a bottle from mexico my friend brough back for me...Is it bad?

sepulatian

I have had the clowns for about a year
I do not think there is any way it has brooklynella (they are in a 29 alone) I took some better pics so you hopefully can get a better look at it.
The anemone is a LTA
ok, but please take a look at Beth's pics anyway just to be certain, brook kills fast.

sepulatian

to me that doesn't look like brook. You just added this anemone? I would personally say that that one (the male did you say?) is just a little stressed to the new environment. Keep an eye on him. If the fish is still eating and acting normally I would not be too concerned.

jake15

alright
Yeah the anemone is pretty new (about 3 weeks but hes only been hosting in it for 1 week)
Ill give an update in a week or so and see if his color is getting any better.

sepulatian

alright
Yeah the anemone is pretty new (about 3 weeks but hes only been hosting in it for 1 week)
Ill give an update in a week or so and see if his color is getting any better.
Sounds good, keep us posted!

bang guy

How long has it been in the new tank?
Where did it sleep in the old tank?
Were the Clowns apart for more than a few days?
How did you cycle the 29?
Is there a difference in lighting between the old tank and the new one?
Is the color difference equally noticeable first thing in the morning vs late afternoon?

jake15

Then tank was cycled about two weeks ( not really a cycle it was a transfer with fresh saltwater all live rock and sand was taken from my 75 i took down )
In the old tank ( 10 gallon ) there was no anemone so they just slept toward the top.
The clowns were never apart. Just the male found the anemone first and the female would swim over but not in. The male slept in the anemone and the female slept at the top of the tank like she used to.
Big difference in lighting. I went from 96 PC to 250 MH. However they have been under the same light before.(250 MH)
The color wasnt noticable when he first started hosting. Then however after like two days of hosting i seen he was getting pale in the morning then a little brighter during the day. And when he comes out to eat out of my hand he brightens up a bit but then goes back into the anemone and dulls out. But now the color is a more consistant pale with not much of a change as the day goes on.
Now the female has found her way into the anemone. Came home from school and look in my tank. And they were just chasing eachother in and out and he was just a dancin all over. So if she sleeps in there tonight (or maybe now ill go check in a sec. ) then im interested in seeing if it affects her.

jake15

ok, shes in there and shes looking just as pale as him now... :help: should i remove the anemone? I dont want to steal their friend but i dont want a sick looking fish and im hoping to breed this pair

jake15

I would prob have to throw it in my 10 gallon (has a 70 MH 14000K) Until my new tank is finished and established. But im not sure how well it would do in there(size wise). I could maybe put the 70 MH over my sump and put it down there..would that be ok?