Clown surfing

fender

Recently my clowns have started surfing in the flow from one of my powerheads. It's pretty funny. They'll swim into the current and then do tricks - standing on their head, doing flips etc. and ride the current out. It's a new powerhead that is sitting pretty close to the top of the tank flowing against the wall.
Fun to watch and they seem to be having a blast.
Anyone else have fish that ride the currents?

kreach

We used to have a small maroon clown in our first tank that used to do that... very cute to watch. :D

aarone

yeah i had a clown that started doing that. I think it is to be lazy and get more oxygen in their gills.
aaron

bang guy

I think it's for the same reason dogs hang their head out the window of the car when you're driving. Makes 'em feel like they're swimming really really fast.
Say... dogs hate it when you blow in their face... why do they like having their heads out the window when you're driving?

cprdnick

My Ocellaris clown does that all day. It's really funny to unplug the PH just when he gets to the point of getting ready to ride the current. He just kind of sits there and looks at the PH like, "Hey, what the heck, I'm trying to feel free".

nm reef

My coral beauty enjoys playing in the current...sometimes it'll seem to be fighting to swim "up stream" against the current from a powerhead...I actually think mine is intentionally playing! I believe he may have California relatives and just misses surfin'
In response to the dog in the wind question....thats kind of like why can somebody tickle you...but you can't tickle yourself. Think about it...then try it....lol
:cool:

T

thomas712

If your blowing into a dogs face then you are normally eye to eye, thats a challange to a dog and your calling him out.
Worst accident I ever heard of concerning dogs:
Two drivers were heading toward each other down a divided highway, both had dogs who were sticking there heads out the back of the driveres sides of the car. Both cars were just a little to close to the miedian..... Well you do the math and the imaging.
Thomas

cprdnick

In the state of Texas they were trying to outlaw pets to ride in a vehicle unless properly restrained. That would bite, my dog loves riding on the tool box. Sure, he's fallen out of the truck a couple of times, but he still loves it. The last time, he bloodied himself up pretty good, and hurt his leg, but he got up and jumped back into the bed of the truck before I could even put it in park.
Sorry, way OT

kreach

Originally posted by Thomas712
Worst accident I ever heard of concerning dogs:
Two drivers were heading toward each other down a divided highway, both had dogs who were sticking there heads out the back of the driveres sides of the car. Both cars were just a little to close to the miedian..... Well you do the math and the imaging.
Thomas

:eek: I lost my appetite for breakfast from that mental image… poor dogs. :(

lovethesea

Our clown love the current, the kids love watching him.
and poor dogs :( we saw a cute hound dog hanging out the window the other day. His ears where flying and his lips were flopping around. :D