clownfish larvae

smoney

Hey neoreef, can you explain to me what the things look like when the clowns fisrt lay them. do they look like a cloudy thingy or what????

neoreef

actually I am never there when they lay. I am hatching a friend's clownfish eggs.
They should look like a patch of tiny oblong or spherical orange things, stuck to the rock, and the male clownfish should be hovering over them, moving them about and mouthing them sometimes.

smoney

the reason i asked is because their is this cloudy thing under the rock that the male clown is hovering over???

Y

yetti

When my Maroon lays eggs it is very difficult to miss. The fish will generally be all around them, brushing into them and mouthing them just like he said. It's always on a cleaned-off section of rock or something like that. The eggs mine lay are a maroonish/orange in color.
Just watch the area to see what is going on. Believe me, you'll know when there are eggs there.
Good luck

bang guy

Originally Posted by thirdchaos
Bang, what are the specs of your breeding setup? Im trying to get as many ideas as possible.
Black oil pans floating in the lagoon for egg hatching & clownfish larvae. 32 gallon roughneck for fry growout up to 1/2".
10 gallon tanks for Banggai and Clownfish growout from 1/2" to saleable size.
I Ocellaris pair, one PJ Cardinalfish pair and one Banggai pair in my display tank (155), 2 Ocellaris pair, one PJ Cardinalfish pair, 5 Banggai pair, and a Maroon pair in the Lagoon, and another Maroon pair in a 29 gallon.

smoney

hey bang guy I know that you breed these clowns and bangaii in large numbers. Just curious what you do with all of them? do you sell them in large quantites to fish stores or what?

bang guy

Originally Posted by SMoney
hey bang guy I know that you breed these clowns and bangaii in large numbers. Just curious what you do with all of them? do you sell them in large quantites to fish stores or what?
Yep. It's an expensive hobby so I have to offset the cost somehow. Sometimes I think a part time job would be easier but then, that's not as fun.

smoney

YEah I guess that is kind of cool. You make good money off of that? it looks like the success rate of your clownfish is really high.