Clownfish locking jaws/fighting

krak256

I've had a true percula clownfish living in my 14g biocube along with a sixline for almost 2 months now. I've been meaning to get a pair of true percs, but my LFS just didn't have any in for the longest time. They finally got some yesterday and I bought one.
While I was acclimating the fish (in the bag) in the tank, I noticed that they were fighting through the bag. The were nipping each other at the mouth (locking jaws). I was worried so I turned off the light. I put the new clown in and immediately they went at each other, biting each others mouth and locking jaws. I decided to do a lights out and put a towel around the tank.
What do I do? Is this because both of them are females? Will the smaller/newer one turn into a male? I'm hoping the lights out will calm them down.
Thanks for the help!

sputz

Move the rocks and deco around to help set up new territory. Im guessing you don't have a quarantine tank?

Originally Posted by krak256
http:///forum/post/2785868
I've had a true percula clownfish living in my 14g biocube along with a sixline for almost 2 months now. I've been meaning to get a pair of true percs, but my LFS just didn't have any in for the longest time. They finally got some yesterday and I bought one.
While I was acclimating the fish (in the bag) in the tank, I noticed that they were fighting through the bag. The were nipping each other at the mouth (locking jaws). I was worried so I turned off the light. I put the new clown in and immediately they went at each other, biting each others mouth and locking jaws. I decided to do a lights out and put a towel around the tank.
What do I do? Is this because both of them are females? Will the smaller/newer one turn into a male? I'm hoping the lights out will calm them down.
Thanks for the help!
I believe all clown fish are males, and the biggest one turns into a female....

r they the same species of clown. if they r u need to remove one.
y didnt u buy them together? buy from another store then if they dont have
i agree with the other guy rearrange the live rock and see if they can live together

gsellers

usually if the case of 2 females they will fight to the death...they will not turn back to male once female....they will fight to the death. Clowns are born sub males and will either be a mature male or turn to a female reaching sexual maturity at the age of 12 months

krak256

ok, i came back today and took the towel off. they arn't locking jaws anymore, but they are fighting a bit. it's doesnt seem to be anything serious. my original perc instigates fights and both perc "twitch/shiver" and turn to their side.
what does that mean?
they are both true percs and I couldn't buy them together because when i got the first one, she was the only one available.

invertcrazy

This is normal, it's a dominance thing. This will continue until the female is confident that the male is not a threat. This may last a few days ,a week or a month and could be quite violent.
As stated in post #4 all clowns are born males and once a clown changes into a female it can't turn back into a male.
just my .02

krak256

Originally Posted by InvertCrazy
http:///forum/post/2786734
This is normal, it's a dominance thing. This will continue until the female is confident that the male is not a threat. This may last a few days ,a week or a month and could be quite violent.
As stated in post #4 all clowns are born males and once a clown changes into a female it can't turn back into a male.
just my .02
Thanks so much Invert! so this means that the new one IS a male? he/she/it has been avoiding my original clown and doesn't try to fight back. it just shivers every once in a while. good sign?