Clownfish suggestions

6mmmedic

I am looking at getting a pair of clowns for my 29 gal. Any of you have suggestions as to what your favorite clowns are? I am looking really hard that the Saddlebacks. Anyone have any and if so, how about some pics?
Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

cedarreef

My personal favorite clowns are either occelaris or true perculas. i had a pair of occelaris, but the female went MIA and the male died after a bit over a year. im going to get another pair or clowns very soon.

gmann1139

What kind of 29g? 30"x12"x18" high, or a cube?
I had a SB in a 29g. It was my first non-damsel fish, so I'm kind of partial to them. That said, I'm not sure I would have put a second clown in it, there wasn't a ton of swimming room.
If you don't want to go with the percs or ocels, look at skunks.

M

mr.reef

i just got my skunks and they went stright in the anemone and they are great i have percs and i think the skunks are better..

jemshores

Originally Posted by 6mmmedic
http:///forum/post/3081134
I am looking at getting a pair of clowns for my 29 gal. Any of you have suggestions as to what your favorite clowns are? I am looking really hard that the Saddlebacks. Anyone have any and if so, how about some pics?
Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
I purchased a pair of black and white SB's, but they are dark orange/copperyish color! They were fine at first then started to chase & nip. Well, they are divorced now and 1 resides in my 12G and one in my 24G. It took awhile but their personality is finally showing and they are great eaters and entertainers! Wish they would just get along

6mmmedic

Well thanks for the suggestions! I had wondered if two saddlebacks would be too much for the tank. Jem, since yours have now divorced I guess that answers my thought!

Gmann, I'm not exactly sure about the measurements on the tank. It is a tank that is about 1 1/2 years old that is currently stocked with cichlids and the girl is just giving me her set up. It's in her office at work and she is coming back from maternity leave, bringing the baby, so she needs the space freed up!
It's not the common size tank...I have a 29g at home already and this one that I'm getting from her is not as long as the one I already have. It is a little shorter in length and is taller in height. It has a Marineland Eclipse system on it, so I am going to have to find a solution for lights since the t8's on it will not do me much good as far as corals or anemones.

vsecret

at my LFS they have a new breed of clowns. They are Mocha clowns. So pretty! I think they mixed occelaris and another type. They looks like the occelaris but they are a deep orangey/chocolaty color. They were bred at the University of Maine. very pretty.

6mmmedic

Thanks for the pics and suggestions! We went with a pair of true percs.....they are the cutest little things! Now, just have to get them an anemone!

lietz06

Originally Posted by 6mmmedic
http:///forum/post/3088060
BTA is what I am thinking too.....just gotta find one that I like!!

I bought an ocellaris baby clown with a green carpet bc the baby was already in there. i also bought a bta so my other ocellaris that was already in my tank would have something to host in. brought them both home and about a week later my babyclown had taught my other ocellaris clown how to host i guess...they never leave that dang thing! they both reside in carpet niether have ever touched the bta! the green carpet is a really pretty anemone-just another option to put out there. Here's a pic not the greatest it was the night i put the anemone in so he hadn't found his place yet.

6mmmedic

Look what I got!!!
So these are the percs we bought last week...now they have a RBTA to call home!! I hope they will host it! I think I might be sick for the next few days over what I paid for it, but I got a good deal regardless. And it's what I really, really wanted!!

T

tiny

Do you mind me asking what you paid for that rbta? My lfs is selling them for $80.

6mmmedic

Originally Posted by Tiny
http:///forum/post/3091663
Do you mind me asking what you paid for that rbta? My lfs is selling them for $80.
Don't mind at all.....I know the feeling of not wanting to pay too much!! I paid $100 for it. The LFS was going to price them at $120, but we do a lot of business with him, so he cut me a break. If you can scoop one up for $80 I would get it. The cheapest I have been able to find them online is around $100, so I felt like I was getting a good deal, since I wouldn't have to pay the extra for shipping. Plus, it's the first one I have come across at our local LFS. I love it!! I am just patiently waiting for my clowns to love it too! LOL

6mmmedic

Originally Posted by gmann1139
http:///forum/post/3092688
Not to burst your bubble a little, but I'm pretty sure those are ocellaris clowns.

I suppose they could be........I was told they were true percs, but you know people are often wrong. How do you tell the difference? And I ended up putting these in a 29 already established at home, not my new tank. I have not set it up yet....