Coco worm question

daftboy

Well it been forever since ive been on here...life's been busy...So i have had a coco worm for 4 months now.. within the last week I have not really noticed it been coming out... granted im not taking care of the tank like i use to .. i still feed every 3-4 days with oyster feast and PEmysis..but I use to see it out..now im not sure anymore...i think i may have seen it out a few days ago ..but i am not certain. Any way is there a way to intice it out ? or a way to check to see if its alive...ideas ? suggestions ?

btldreef

If may have shedded its crown. However, I've never had luch with those things and after a few months they always die on me, no matter what I do. I think my Coral Beauty nips at them until they just can't take anymore. Do you see new growth at the top of the tube? It will be a much cleaner white than the rest of the tube.

gill again68

The more clean should be white, is it? Mine shed its crown and I thought oh crap, but it came back just as strong as it was. I have had mine for several months, not sure maybe a month or 2 longer than you but they just seem to do what they do. From time to time mine will hide. More than likely someone or thing is messing with it. Can you see in the tube? Maybe someone is in there. My Coral Beauty isnt really messing with mine but that will differ from tank to tank I am sure. Got any pics?

btldreef

Yes, the more clean area at the top where the crown normally will be. It probably just shed its crown, but still should keep an eye on it.
My coral beauty was relentless with mine, but I'll take that to her nipping at corals any day. And yes, it defintely varies from tank to tank, fish to fish. Also, my husband just reminded me that our cleaner shrimp would constantly pick at the tubes of our feather dusters and they'd leave their tubes to find new homes.

daftboy

well maybe i should move my coco to the other side of the tank... i can see in the tube but the tube is probably 10 inches long and not straight at all... i have a flame angel... maybe she is nipping at him... she rarely goes to the other side of the tank ,what do you think ?

gill again68

It wont hurt to move it. I forgot to mention the "they will move out" thingy but hopefully that didnt happen. I know mine gets pretty far back in its tube and I cant see it but mine come out every day. No one is messing with mine though. Let us know how it goes.

daftboy

Well I saw it pop out for a little bit yesterday so I know its alive but only for a minute then it went back in. I have not moved it yet what do you think ?

daftboy

i have seen people who have had them for over a year... maybe not publicly posted it... but like i said my tube is about 10 inches long and its only grown a inch or so since I got it bout 3 months ago... so I would think mine is over a year old

ryancw01

I have owned mine for almost a year now and I am not sure how long my LFS had it beforehand. Recently it was dormant for about 2 weeks and I thought it was dead. I thought my green star polyps killed it because it is growing all over the tube now, but then a little worm appeared for about a week and now two weeks later it is bigger than it has ever been already. Crazy...

ryancw01

My lights are not on yet so the pick is not very good, but as you can see here my green star has completely engulfed the tube but the worm is fine now. I really don't like that green star because it is spreading everywhere. I do not like the green algae either. That is a whole different battle...

robertmathern

I have had mine for about a year and a half give or take a month or 2. I have never seen mine shed its crown but hear they do when stressed. But I have seen it not come out for a week here and there then out it comes just like it was before. I cant tell you why they d that but hell I have a coral beuty tangs all different kinds. Even a shark in there crabs you name it its n my tank. So I dont know but nothing seems to bother mine here is a older pic of it