Collin's 14 Gallon Bio Cube Chronicle

silverdak

Alright I just picked up my 14 Gallon Cube today! I will have pictures later tonight after I pick up my free stand at my Girls house
I am so excited and so happy!!!!

silverdak

O ya here is what I got:
14 Gallon Oceanic Bio-Cube
Seachem Reef Salt 160 gallon (5 gallon bucket)
5 pieces of base rock, about 15lbs
10lbs of Estes' Ultra reef Marine sand
Deep Six Hydrometer
API high Range PH test
Seachem Marine Buffer
Stuff to come:
5-10lbs of live rock
5-10lbs of live sand
10 Gallons of pre-established Salt water form my friends tnak
protien skimmer??
some frag corals and a Brain coral.
hows the set up sound so far??? let me know what you think!!!

silverdak

just got the stand... it was wood color and I wanted it black. hopefully it will be dry enough to move to my room tonight after I get home. then its picture time!!!

silverdak

ok just got the tank on its stand and in my room... no water yet (hopefully tonight) but I did add the sand and base rock.
everything works fine... except one of the "moon" lights is out. my buddy rush ordered me another one and should be in mid next week.
here are the first pictures enjoy! and tell me what you think!!!

spanko

Looks good, but you want to get the rocks without any sand under them. If you have any critters that burrow, and you will, they could cause the rock to shift and fall.

silverdak

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2645709
Looks good, but you want to get the rocks without any sand under them. If you have any critters that burrow, and you will, they could cause the rock to shift and fall.
well thank you for saving me some time and agony!!!! lol
anyone else or anything else that might be wrong???

silverdak

more pictures!!! water in!!!

one in the three different types of lights.
kinda funny thing.. the one moon light that I thought was out, was on and working... then went off and back on. needless to say its getting replaced so it works all the time

flricordia

Originally Posted by SilverDak
http:///forum/post/2646138
more pictures!!! water in!!!

one in the three different types of lights.
kinda funny thing.. the one moon light that I thought was out, was on and working... then went off and back on. needless to say its getting replaced so it works all the time
Looking good so far. I always had problems with the moonlights on my biocube too. They finally just quit working altogether and I got a DIY and installed it in the hood. Tryed several times to contact Biocube (think it is actually Allglass) and finally got hold of one of the most ruddest receptionists ever talked too so blew it off. Had problems with the fans eventually too so chunked the hood and went with a Sunpod instead for lighting.
Needless to say I am not a Biocube fan. lol

camfish

Looking good so far, but I recommend returning the hydrometer you have. If you haven't read about swing arm, they are incredibly innacurate. I recommend getting a refractometer or at least a floating hydrometer. Not trying to get you down, it's just a suggestion. If your buddy has a refractometer, you could calibrate a floating hydrometer with it. Or better yet, get your salinity the way you want it with a refractometer and then see what the hydrometer you have says the salinity is and keep it consistent...does that make any sense at all?

silverdak

dont know why or how... but it make sense! lol
those were the ones they use in the store.... so I guess I assumed it would be a good one. the readings seemed to be going bonkers till i read that you sometimes should tap it to make sure the bubbles are all off it. then me readings were dead on. I am only cycling the tank right now so I will be able to check my salt levels later before adding fish and stuff.
anyone know how soon I can add some corals? maybe a Zoa or 2 and some other easy stuff?? just started the tank yesterday.. but started it with water from a buddies tank thats been cultured already.... he said it would speed it up.

flricordia

Originally Posted by SilverDak
http:///forum/post/2646847
dont know why or how... but it make sense! lol
those were the ones they use in the store.... so I guess I assumed it would be a good one. the readings seemed to be going bonkers till i read that you sometimes should tap it to make sure the bubbles are all off it. then me readings were dead on. I am only cycling the tank right now so I will be able to check my salt levels later before adding fish and stuff.
anyone know how soon I can add some corals? maybe a Zoa or 2 and some other easy stuff?? just started the tank yesterday.. but started it with water from a buddies tank thats been cultured already.... he said it would speed it up.
I would start testing in a couple weeks, maybe let it cycle for 2 weeks with lights out, turn them on for a week half cycle, do 20% water change then lights full time and after another week the tank should be ready adding livestock. Course you can rush it as most do, patience is not the American way, and then possibly struggle though hair algae blooms, but if you take it slow, no fish for at least 2 months, let the system learn to depend upon itself, then you should be good to go.

silverdak

Originally Posted by Flricordia
http:///forum/post/2647024
I would start testing in a couple weeks, maybe let it cycle for 2 weeks with lights out, turn them on for a week half cycle, do 20% water change then lights full time and after another week the tank should be ready adding livestock. Course you can rush it as most do, patience is not the American way, and then possibly struggle though hair algae blooms, but if you take it slow, no fish for at least 2 months, let the system learn to depend upon itself, then you should be good to go.
really? even with water thats cultured already?
not doubting you just wondering

spanko

Cultured water really doesn't mean anything. The nitrifying bacteria resides on the hard surfaces in our tanks, not in the water column. You got some good advice from flricordia if you can wait that long your tank will be better for it.

silverdak

not sure about 2 months.... lol I know I can hold of for at least a month if not more tho. what about a good clean up crew?? It looks like there were a few very very tiny snails in the sand I got from my friend..... what else would be good for a small cube and not cost me an arm and a leg?? and how soon do those go it? I have heard inverts can go in in 1-2 weeks??

silverdak

Update!!!
water looks pretty clear to me

I hope everyone likes pictures.. cuz I love taking and posting them!!!
let me know what you thing about how the rocks are set up. I really wanna know what everyone thinks!!

lando101

Hey SilverDak, IMO I love the rock setup!!
As for clean up crew, I plan on this for my 14g so it may help
10 scarlet Hermits
10 Turbo Snails
10 Trouchus Snails
and lastly... 1 cleaner Shrimp
A bit too much but I want it to be clean!!!

lando101

I also plan on getting emerald crabs(2) and a sand shifting starfish if I have to, more than likely not, but yah, I hope this helps, it is a bit ovekill though!!

silverdak

thanks for the response! and ya... maybe I will half that lol defiantly knew I was gonna have to get a cleaner shrimp and it appears I already have a couple little snails in there from the live sand. I really want a star fish too.. it was some red one or something, forgot what it's called... found it on this site.