Colored gonoporia from saltwaterfish

gc1962

I purchaced a colored gonoporia from this website last week and it has not opened since arrival. It has been a week now should I assume this coral is dead, it does not look discolored or anything just has not opened. What should I do.

au mister

Sorry to tell you this but those corals are extremely hard to keep. I have not met anyone that has keep one alive longer than 6 months. I think they are one of the prettiest corals you can get, but they are a pain. They have to have perfect water quality. I had a green one (when I bought it I didnt know they were hard to keep) but my clown fish played in it and it eventually died. My LFS stuck me pretty good with that coral. Mine closed up for a while and started to decay away. I tossed it out and just ate that 45 dollars.

I remember when I got this one it took about 1-1/2 weeks to open up(I thought it was doomed) and that was a little over 8 months ago. It has been doing very well for me so far. It is normally fully extended but my Foxface brushed against it right before I took this picture. Maybe yours will come around as well.

meowzer

I got one from swf too...it opened some within a couple of days...within a week it had opened all the way. Is anything rubbing against yours? It will not come out if it is being bothered by anything.

jackri

I've had mine 8+ months and doing awesome... love my flower pot coral and just moved it after being butted up against my carpet anemone with no ill effects -- just found a better "eye appealing" spot for him in my eyes.
I've heard xenia is hard to keep too (I couldn't kill that if I tried) -- but all depends on the tank i guess.