computer died, got new Dell

t316

I'm hearing you on the Win 7. Same here....
This computer has gotten so slow and old that I finally got a new one too. I have had Dell's for many years, but after sick of dealing with Dell, finally decided to step outside the box this time and go with an HP pavilion. Have not set it up yet, but not only am I crossing my fingers on the Win 7, but the HP as well.

flower

I have vista, no problems. I really want to know what cool new features Windows 7 has...I was afraid to update

renogaw

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3195948

I have vista, no problems. I really want to know what cool new features Windows 7 has...I was afraid to update
so far i haven't found anything "cool" but it is quite an upgrade from xp. can't use outlook express anymore it seems...i have to use microsoft live i guess.
don't know my settings to connect to cox.net though lol

scsinet

Vista really wasn't as bad as all the hype. I'm still running it here even though I have licenses to upgrade.
The problems frankly are the users. Most (and by that I mean something more than half) of all users download spyware and malware left and right that drags their system down. With XP, you blamed yourself. With Vista, you blamed Vista.
Anyhoo, I work wtih both OSs (Vista and 7) extensively. Windows 7 is not a big jump. The feature enhancements are overall pretty subtle. The one thing that affects me with 7 that I do not like is that they took away a lot of the "classic" modes and settings. I cannot, for example, run a "classic mode" start menu, they took that out so now it's "vista mode" only.
7's media center is a HUGE leap forward for the 1% of us who actually use this feature.
My bottom line feeling... If Vista is running fine for you, don't upgrade. If XP is running fine for you, buy a new computer with 7. If Vista is giving you problems, upgrade, but only by doing a fresh install (IME "upgrade installs" from Vista do not result in an optimal running PC).
... oh, and yeah... with 7, they took out a lot of the bundled software which included Outlook Express. Live is your only option, or a standalone mail app like Outlook full.

flower

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3196017
Vista really wasn't as bad as all the hype. I'm still running it here even though I have licenses to upgrade.
The problems frankly are the users. Most (and by that I mean something more than half) of all users download spyware and malware left and right that drags their system down. With XP, you blamed yourself. With Vista, you blamed Vista.
Anyhoo, I work wtih both OSs (Vista and 7) extensively. Windows 7 is not a big jump. The feature enhancements are overall pretty subtle. The one thing that affects me with 7 that I do not like is that they took away a lot of the "classic" modes and settings. I cannot, for example, run a "classic mode" start menu, they took that out so now it's "vista mode" only.
7's media center is a HUGE leap forward for the 1% of us who actually use this feature.
My bottom line feeling... If Vista is running fine for you, don't upgrade. If XP is running fine for you, buy a new computer with 7. If Vista is giving you problems, upgrade, but only by doing a fresh install (IME "upgrade installs" from Vista do not result in an optimal running PC).
... oh, and yeah... with 7, they took out a lot of the bundled software which included Outlook Express. Live is your only option, or a standalone mail app like Outlook full.

Thanks...Vista is my buddy and I will keep it, since 7 isn't mush more of a jump.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3196023

Thanks...Vista is my buddy and I will keep it, since 7 isn't mush more of a jump.

I'll just tack onto what SCSI said and add that its really NEVER a good idea to upgrade an operating system. If you absolutely need to have the latest OS your best bet is to either wipe out your machine and completely reload it or just buy a new one with the new OS preinstalled.

renogaw

i do like the "snipping" tool :)
i dont like the drop down tool bar on the top. i don't like having to right click on the bottom toolbar to "show desktop"

meowzer

I have used both Dell and HP Pavilion (T316) I LOVE the HP...I have had my (HP) desktop 8 years now, and the only reason I am in the market for a new desktop is ...well....it's 8 years old and I have done all the upgrades that can be done to it.
I do not know if I want Windows 7 after reading you can no longer have outlook express :( I also have Vista on my laptop......no problems. My laptop is a Compaq (which is HP) I have had it 2 years now, and never an issue (knocking on wood)

bionicarm

From what I've read, Microsoft has dropped all support and upgrades for Outlook Express, and have gone to Windows Mail Live. You can download it for free, along with several other 'free' tools - Messenger, Photo Gallery, Windows Movie maker, etc. I installed the Live Mail and it looks and feels somewhat like Outlook 2007. You can always download it and try it. If you don't like it, there's always 'uninstall'.
http://download.live.com/wlmail

t316

I'm unpackaging my boxes now. Almost scared to "go down" on this computer (afraid I might not come back "up" on the other side), but I'm going to have to here soon...

renogaw

seems windows live was already installed, just had to find my pop and smtp addy's.
and OMG i love the way you just run your mouse pointer over the little tabby thingies on the bottom tool bar and you can switch to them!

renogaw

anyone know how to get windows live email program to not only download my email from cox.net, but also delete it from cox.net after it has done so?