computer fans

causeidm

Ok, I have a ton of old computer fans I'd like to wire together for air flow. Their rated voltage is 12v, rated current is 13amps, and rated input power is 1.6 w.
My question is, how do I figure what ac adapter to buy and how do I wire them all together

wamp

13 amps!!!!! Check that again. I think you may have misread it.
Most all DC adapters have their output labeled on them. Just find one that closely matches the fans specs.

causeidm

You know, I think 70% of the people who post here must be in the computer industry, having seen just about everyone say they're an IT guy or a computer guy, I wonder if we should ask them to start a computer discusion section on the board

prater

Go to a computer store and get an old AT power supply and hook it into the wall. Plug the fans in and your up and going. I actually own a computer store in Oklahoma City and sell AT supplys for $15. Make sure and protect the power supply from the saltwater environment and do this at your own risk:D

jacksonpt

Originally posted by Prater
Go to a computer store and get an old AT power supply and hook it into the wall. Plug the fans in and your up and going. I actually own a computer store in Oklahoma City and sell AT supplys for $15. Make sure and protect the power supply from the saltwater environment and do this at your own risk:D

I tried to do that but I couldn't get the fans to run. How do you wire the fans into the power supply? Without a MB, there are no "plugs" for cooling fans.

shanev

That depends on the fan. There are 2 types of computer fans.
1 with a small 3 pin plug and 1 with a larger 4 pin plug just like the plug on a cdrom,etc.
If you have the small 3 wire you can get a 3 wire to 4 wire adapter at most computer stores.

prater

And it has to be an AT power supply, not ATX. The ATX requires a signal from the motherboard to power on. My fans have both the 3pin and 4 pin connectors. Look at the new Vantec quiet fans also.

shanev

On an ATX you can run a jumper wire from a certain pin to another certain pin, but I wouldnt want to get into that here :)

dreeves

Just for the record...I'm not an IT or computer guy...just been tossing PC's around since before IBM was a standard, MSDOS was in the 2 version...windows wasn't bred yet, etc...heck I remember the first net message I ever sent was through a brand spanking new hayes 1200 smart modem over DDN through ArpaNet...but I am still just a PC hobbyist....

johnnysalt

ShaneV: I NEED your help on the wiring...(or anyone else's for that matter!)...I only have a spare ATX power supply to use for the dc comp fans......NOT an AT......what wires do I connect and where?!? from the previous posts it sounded like you can get an ATX to work withOUT the mboard....that right?
also....I have some 3 to 4 pin adapters too....if that's what's needed.
Thanks in advance for your help,
John

shanev

OK here goes, the disclaimer. This could break your power supply, do this at your own risk. That being said Ive done it myself.
Go here for instructions on how to jumper the atx to run it without a motherboard. If you dont have an on/off switch on the back it even shows you how to put a switch on the jumper.
http://www.tech-live.net/power.html
What kind of connectors do your fans have, there are really 3 types of computer fans
1. 4 pin look like a hard drive will plug straight into the power comming off of thepower supply.
2. 2 pin plug the 4 pin to 3 pin adapter into the power comming from the power supply and the other end to the fan.
3. Untailed - you will need to put either a 4 pin or 3 pin end of them so you can follow 1 or 2. This is unlikely but possible.
Let me know if you have questions.

just go to Radio shack and get a 120 volt fan...........they are like 10 -15 bucks or so..........and you can wire them up after your light switch in your lights, so when your lights come on.........so does the fan.

randolph

was going to go the pc fan route but to noisy found some 110v fans 2 speed all plastic for about 7 bucks ea. hood must be 8 or more inches tall, they are great. i have an e-mail sddress if anyone wants it:cool:

pyro383

Rat shack fans would be fine, however you could do better. I am using a thermally controlled 1 that does up to 80 cfm at dba 35. I am also selling to 4" 120v 95 cfm for $10ea plus shipping if interested