Conceal and Carry License

mrdc

Anyone have a conceal and carry license? I went to renew mine and the cost went from $25 to $76. Not sure how they came up with that number but damn, that's a 300%+ increase. I guess the gov't is looking for money.

S

smartorl

I do
I heard the prices were going to skyrocket, largely because it is considered a luxury. In addition, supposedly, the increase will keep the permits out of the wrong hands. Really? My guess is there will be more people carrying illegally.
There has been alot of debate locally in the political front about it.

mrdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///forum/thread/381152/conceal-and-carry-license#post_3318712
In addition, supposedly, the increase will keep the permits out of the wrong hands. Really? My guess is there will be more people carrying illegally.
Well if there has been talk here, I missed it. I felt like they snuck the price hike in so no one would know it was coming. I also don't agree with the logic of permits getting into the wrong hands. Heck its those who are carrying without permits (referring to the thugs) that I am worried about. I considered not renewing but still carry but I went ahead and renewed. Guess I am just a lawabiding citizen.

S

smartorl

The buzz here is largely because we have a candidate who is very anti-gun, anti-violence. Considering my county is one of the heavier hunted counties in the state of Florida, it's creating quite a bit of local bickering. He is targeting the hunters, glumping them into the same catergory as the moron who has zero experience handling firearms safely, who owns an uzi.
Broad generalizations can bite you in the butt.
I also considered not renewing mine. I have had mine for almost 18 years. I own a trucking company and my office and yard were in a not so nice area of town. I was often up there in the middle of the night and while I never used it or even thought about it, it was a comfort having it. Now I have a home office and pay for space in a 24 hour a day guarded facility, I really have no need for one. I did relent because should I decide to apply again, the regulations are so much stricter and the process alot longer.

btldreef

I have one. Rarely ever carry though. I considered not renewing, but I can't walk my dog at night without being harassed, so my husband begged me to renew it.

egill

I jumped on our lifetime permit when I renewed. It was $100 but I believe it us to $125. Before that it was $40 for 4 years.

socal57che

I had CCW when I lived in Pa. I think it was $25 for 5 years. Many counties in Kommiefornia make it so hard to get a permit that I didn't get one. I tried in Riverside county and they basically told me that if I couldn't provide proof that I was in a constant life threatening situation that they would not issue one. We now live in San Diego County and it's the same here. Kern County citizens have no problem getting a CCW permit without hassle.
When we lived in Pa, I didn't feel the need to carry unless we were going to Pittsburg or Philly where I didn't know my way around neighborhoods. The permit was easy to get.
Living in Ca, I feel the need to carry a LOT more often and the permit is virtually impossible to get.
The need to carry decreases as the right to carry increases. Get a clue, Kalifornia! The gov't out here is filled with babbling morons. (rant over)

reefraff

I just leave it in the truck, safe in most parts of America. When I have to travel to California I throw a cheap gun in just in case. If they find it they can have it.

stdreb27

geeze, I left my shotgun in a car one day, then my wife drove the car onto a college campus. So I don't leave weapons in vehicles anymore if I can help it.

socal57che

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///forum/thread/381152/conceal-and-carry-license#post_3318776
I just leave it in the truck, safe in most parts of America. When I have to travel to California I throw a cheap gun in just in case. If they find it they can have it.
The problem with that is that posession of an unregistered handgun in Ca is a felony. The conviction will likely strip you of the right to purchase, regardless of the state you live in. Your NICS check will reveal that you have prior firearm related felony convictions. Lock it up to be sure they can't site you with carrying a concealed weapon out here. You may have some wiggle room since you don't permanently reside in Ca, but I'd hate to have to go to court just to prove to the judge that you don't live here. Lots of people that live here keep their previous state drivers licence and registration because it is crazy expensive to reister a car in Ca. They like to bust people for not transferring their license and registration.
If you guys are planning a trip to Ca, pick up a state to state firearms guide. They are available on the web, and could save you a LOT of hassle. They list rules for posession on a state by state basis so you know when you have to lock it up. If traveling/visiting Ca, it must be in a locked container (not the glove box), unloaded and no ammo in with the firearm. They also do not want you to have easy access to the ammo so don't keep it in the center console.
Ca DOJ http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php
Oh, Ca has an assault weapon ban so also check the A/W list for your firearm before you come. My Walther P-22 rimfire had to stay in Missouri because it is considered an assault weapon in Ca due to the way Walther attached the barrel to the frame. Are we messed up or what?
There is also the issue of driving through a school zone with it. If you get pulled over or park within "X" number of feet from a school zone and it isn't locked up, you will be taken to jail. I think it's 1000ft, but don't quote me on that.

reefraff

I don't particularly care what the California law is. What's the point of carrying a gun if you can't get to it. I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. My gun is cased with nothing chambered. That is legal in nearly every state BUT California. Out of state plates and driver's license should be proof enough. Besides most cops are pretty understanding if you don't play the douche. I should throw one of those chesey little jewelry box locks on the case just in case next time I have to Californicate. I figure just hang it on the case unlatched and if I ever did get stopped I could just latch it.
I live in a school zone. Got to be careful because of that. Standing in your yard holding the gun can get you cracked but carrying it to or from your car is fine.

socal57che

There was an open carry rally to raise awareness of the hassle we get trying to get a CCW out here. The rally was in Pacific Beach. There are several schools nearby so it was very touchy finding a parking space. Open carry is allowed, but you are not permitted to have any ammunition on your person. What a joke.
That's where we are headed, though. The gun grabbers can't get the guns, so they are going after the ammunition.
(I carry without a permit when I go to LA or rougher parts of the San Diego area) There...I said it.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal57che http:///forum/thread/381152/conceal-and-carry-license#post_3318906
There was an open carry rally to raise awareness of the hassle we get trying to get a CCW out here. The rally was in Pacific Beach. There are several schools nearby so it was very touchy finding a parking space. Open carry is allowed, but you are not permitted to have any ammunition on your person. What a joke.
That's where we are headed, though. The gun grabbers can't get the guns, so they are going after the ammunition.
(I carry without a permit when I go to LA or rougher parts of the San Diego area) There...I said it.
LOL! Open carry an unloaded gun. Good way to get dead

mantisman51

We here in America have the God-given right to carry anyway we see fit, no permit necessary. Funny, but the already low gun crime rate here in Az has dropped since the law took effect in July. Could be a numeric anomoly, but I don't think so. And although the libs all cried (like some here on the boards) that road rage violence would increase, according to DPS, there hasn't been one incident of road rage involving a firearm since July when the law went in effect. Someone here once posted "armed citizens are polite citizens" and I believe it more than ever.

socal57che

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman51 http:///forum/thread/381152/conceal-and-carry-license#post_3319180
We here in America have the God-given right to carry anyway we see fit, no permit necessary. Funny, but the already low gun crime rate here in Az has dropped since the law took effect in July. Could be a numeric anomoly, but I don't think so. And although the libs all cried (like some here on the boards) that road rage violence would increase, according to DPS, there hasn't been one incident of road rage involving a firearm since July when the law went in effect. Someone here once posted "armed citizens are polite citizens" and I believe it more than ever.
Yup.
CCW in itself is unconstitutional. The impedance of having to take classes and go through a background check infringe on the right to keep and bear. That being said, I don't think we can ever go back. There are too many people that just shouldn't be allowed to carry a firearm.