Confused about yellow and blue hippo tang together in 90

tanglove

Oh I know I am new at this. But that doesnt mean I dont do my research. Everything I have read or looked up that hasnt came from this forum has told me differently. And thats why I say do as you want. I mean of all the "professionals" on here, who has had every species possible and had them in many different size tanks to see which one they are happiest in? Not every fish is the same, just like us believe it or not they all have there own personalities. And I think that if we dont have the money to go out and dish on a 150+ tank and everything needed, but still want to be in this hobby: we will just have to do things as we wish.

tanglove

Oh and for the above comment, I never asked if I could put in a tang. In the beginning I had told someone that had asked what I was planning on stocking my tank with. Then I got the DL that I shouldnt!

tanglove

I had to share this, it came from this site!
Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Peaceful
Diet: Pellet, Flake, Greens
Origin: Indian Ocean
Acclimation Time: 4+ hours
Minimum Tank Size: 40 gallons
Coral Safe: Yes
Invertebrate Safe: Yes

puffer32

Originally Posted by TangLove
we will just have to do things as we wish.
Then you don't truely love your animals if you just "do as you wish." You should do what is right for your pet. Yrs ago I wished to get a mandrin, and like many of you just starting out in the hobby i couldn't afford the size tank to keep one. But I still enjoyed the hobby without a mandrin, made do with keeping fish that could thrive in my tank, not just exist. That my friend is responsable fish keeping, and what this hobby is all about. Yes, i made mistakes along the way, but if the experienced hobbiests told me i shouldn't keep a certain spiecies, I didn't! I waited for yrs to get my mandrin, you should wait to. JMO, and that of many others.

tanglove

All I am saying, is that after all the research I have done most say that it is okay. So that is what I wish to do. Go with the most then with the people on here that tell me otherwise. Yes, I know that we should put most of everyfish in a larger tank. But when you go to the sites that are suppose to be profess. and have been at this hobby for years, you dont just forget everything you read. And I think I will use another site to post forums, because at least the other ones dont tell me that my fish are going to die if they are in 5 gallons less than what I have.

i rule

The problem with forums is that they tend to be highly opinionated, especially the ones with many thousands of members like Reefcentral and Saltwaterfish. Usually the more "humble" forums (such as the one that I usually visit) are much more accepting of other people's opinions and experience. They also lack the highly infuriating "Tang Police" who care more about looking down on others than about enjoying a tank full of happy, healthy tangs.
I personally have combined a yellow and sailfin tang in a 55 gallon tank in the past, and eventually got rid of the sailfin after he started growing really fast. but during the months that i had them together, there was no aggression and no diseases (apart from the usual lymphocystis on the yellow for a few days), even when the other fish got infected during a major outbreak of ich, amoung those a highly well-fed and muscular Pinktailed Trigger (the educated members will know just how armoured and resistant Triggers are to diseases). It sems to me that the hardiness of Surgeonfish is highly underestimated, those doing so are either fools, lucklesses, or snobs, plain and simple.

aanthony

but people, these tangs way back when were brought from the ocean where theres is billions of gallons for them to swim, and then they get put in these 100 gallon tanks, well of course they will be stressed, but we are in the age of tank raised tangs. So these are fish which now are growing up in much smaller areas. Its survival of the fittest, either adapt or die, ive seen at least 50 baby hippo tangs being tank raised in a 60gallon, so these fish are having to adapt to a smaller area, now if we buy these things when their very small then whats the harm of putting them in a 50.

aanthony

think of rabbits, their used to running around for hundreds of years, but they seem to be doing fine when i see them in little cages at the pet store, same can be said about any animal, seriously, they are used to open areas, but over time their areas of living have become smaller and smaller, and they seem to have adapted.

i rule

like I said, they are underestimated. most Tangs are hardy, adaptable fish and if people are too snobby to accept it, piss on 'em.

tanglove

True...I mainly started this hobby because I wanted the yellow tang. After many people on here started to straight out tell me not to do it, I started to rethink the hobby. But I am going to house a yellow tang in my 55 gallon, so please "you others" dont tell me I shouldnt do this. Trust me I have done my research. And I dont think I will be doomed for doing so.

In Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael it lists the yellow tang needing 75G. It also says if you want two tangs you should have at least 135G.

puffer32

Originally Posted by crazyaqua
a yellow tang in a 90 gallon is fine imo
I for one agree with you on that. The poster wants to put a hippo and YT in a 90. I had a YT in a 75, but he out grew it in afew yrs.

reefforbrains

I bet my dad can beat up your dad
I am a self proclaimed rich-prick. I do however LOVE the Ocean, doesnt matter to me if I can simply replace a ________ for _____$$ when it dies. I simply dont do things that potentially put the specimen in harms way.
Tangs ARE big swimmers.
Tangs can be kept in a shoebox lined with gladwrap
both statments are true. nothing to do with ANY of the freaks of nature stories. The basic stereotypes we follow from experience and other people telling us such things like "hey look out that pot is boiling..dont touch it" are what we go by and refer to as best practice. Not just because we are all rum-dummy and follow orders we find in overpriced books. In this hobby/obssession, half the game is doing things your way and experimentation. We will all never agree on much thats for sure in regards to how to run a tank. Do freaks of nature that go completly against what would normally be considered best practice and defy all odds exist.........sure. But refering to best practice is just that. Its playing the odds for survival, for happiness, longevity, and for downright decency to the specimen. the debate over price of fish replacement is moot.
"You can get a good look at a T-bone by stickin your head up a Sail-fin's A@@ but I would rather take the butchers word for it."
P.S- I always want to punch the person that says " oh aptasia.....just put in a pepermint" all of this is JMO so toss it if you like,...

boozzbro

that is the requirement for when you get teh fish. that wont cut it after a year or 2. if you must get it i would say 100 gal min for a hippo. The yellow tang stays smaller you should be fine with that in a 90 gal tank.

eaglewonj

Does that mean you agree or disagree with it? Interesting we can not talk about competing sites....but its ok to say that this one is wrong and that they need at least 75 gallons.
Yes, they are adaptable, the stock level and floorplan of the tank matter. Over a decade ago my dad had an Orbiculate Batfish and a Naso Tang in a 55g together. They were fine and could basically lap the tank (as opposed to going along the front, turning and goin back) they did little oval laps around the tank. They were fine. They were the only two things in the tank. This was before hundreds of pounds of rock and sand were put in so now a 55 gallon is probably barely above 40 in actual water volume. At the time there was some reef bones in the tank and a filter system for one twice as large. It worked fine, they never got ich or other diseases. They were bought in 1989 (Mayish), The batfish died in 2000 (11 years in the tank, it was not a baby when he got it). The Tang died in 2002 (13 years in the tank, and again he was not a baby when put in.)
Originally Posted by boozzbro

that is the requirement for when you get teh fish. that wont cut it after a year or 2. if you must get it i would say 100 gal min for a hippo. The yellow tang stays smaller you should be fine with that in a 90 gal tank.
Keep this one in mind too, watch the fish, if they get huge and incumbered by the tank or aquascaping....take him out and back to the store or get a bigger tank or give him to someone with a bigger tank (note that the store's tank may not be any bigger...)
So what does this mean? Things change, animals adapt, and opinions are like fingerprints (what did you think I was going to say), everyone has them and they are all different.
If the issue is will they fight...then the larger the better but also lots of cover and hiding places should keep them happy.
If the issue is swimming room....then realize that tank bred ones or captive held ones were not in billion gallon holding tanks. I have yet to go to a LFS that has much of any stock tank longer than 4 ft. They sell tangs of all sizes, I have not seen any with special 6 or 8 foot tanks because the tangs "need" them.
Keep the water quality perfect, keep the nutrition perfect, and give them room to hide and swim(4 feet, 6 feet, whatever, even that 620 gallon tank on here is a pissload smaller than the friggin ocean so why keep tangs at all?) They are one of the most popular fish for the aquarium and have been a part of this hobby for longer than most people on this forum have. 20 years ago tanks above 100 gallons were not common, but tangs were...they are still here we still keep them, they still live (what was that count again...oh yeah 13 years healthy in our tank....)
Gather information and make a judgement call. No one experiment can prove someone right, but a single one can prove them wrong. There is lots of info here and many books to read. Take them all in and decide, do not listen to one person or book (not me, not the mods, not concientious marine aquarist.) No one source is sufficient. Combine all the opinions and info. When they say can't...it isn't fact, its opinion. Fact: Your tank is 90 gallons. Opinion: It is too small for 2 tangs or Yeah, you can have two tangs. Read some species specific guides (respected and recent would be best). Visit some more forums, and hear the opinions of more people who have tangs, especially those with similar size tanks and those with especially old fish. In the end its your money, your tank, your fish...What someone here thinks won't matter.

eaglewonj

Originally Posted by promisetbg
There is no such thing as a tank bred tang, they are all wild caught.
Noted. No tank bred tangs yet, the small ones in the store are juvies they caught. There are however a large array of "Tank Raised" tangs which have been caught young and raised to adulthood in captivity. In that case they have had time to adapt to tank life.

crazyaqua

Ah puffer i didn't see that yeah 2 tangs regardless of what species they are shouldn't be in a 90 they just need a lot of swimming room. Its not about people being "rich pricks" .They are people who are experienced and were giving advice that was asked for. so if you plan on getting 2 tangs to live a healthy life plan to get a 135+. And Frank you tank is fricking awesome :jumping: