eaglewonj

Originally Posted by I Rule
eaglewonj, you are one bad dude

What did I do?
Old school vs. New school, old stuff still works, but new stuff is safer

eaglewonj

new school blows compared to old
My dad remembers the age where dolomite and diatom filters were the best things on the face of the earth and when a massive hair algae bloom meant the tank was perfect.

dcoyle11

i have a 10 gallon tank with 300 lbs of lr in it can i put 38 fish in it... just asking? it all comes down to ...take advice or leave advice... but one way or another you will learn.

eaglewonj

Originally Posted by dcoyle11
i have a 10 gallon tank with 300 lbs of lr in it can i put 38 fish in it... just asking? it all comes down to ...take advice or leave advice... but one way or another you will learn.

Hey, i know that guy! Does he work at the local pet store fish section????
lol
As a joke I would love to see someone stack 300 pounds of live rock on a 10 gallon tank....

1journeyman

This is balogna, a yellow Tang could be acclimated to a 50 gallon with no trouble. I personally bought my yellow tang from pet cetera where they allegedly kept it in the 25 gallon tank I bought it from for almost a year. It was thin from underfeeding, but had no diseases. The "all tangs need 6' rule" is for rich pricks that can afford to go blow $2000 on a tank a couple of times a week, just so they can look down on others for keeping tangs in perfectly adequate 4' - 5' tanks.
I just posted a question on Tangs for my 90 gallon, but now I regret it because I know the answers I'm going to get, even though the host site (saltwaterfish.com) tells me otherwise.
This host site states the "minimum". As hobbyists we're not looking to provide "minimum" habitat to educate people and promote this hobby.
I Rule, can you list for us where you have studied Tangs in their natural habitat? You throw out there an attitude of "you know best" while going against what's considered common knowledge among the experts who have studied them.

1journeyman

New technology allows us to stock salt water fish to levels equalling that of freshies, but some people still don't stock highly. Sometimes it seems only to look down on people that do stock highly. :notsure:
It's not about "Stocking" levels. Compare natural habitat and fish densities of marine and FW fish. That's where the difference lies.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by TangLove
Oh I know I am new at this. But that doesnt mean I dont do my research. Everything I have read or looked up that hasnt came from this forum has told me differently. And thats why I say do as you want. I mean of all the "professionals" on here, who has had every species possible and had them in many different size tanks to see which one they are happiest in? Not every fish is the same, just like us believe it or not they all have there own personalities. And I think that if we dont have the money to go out and dish on a 150+ tank and everything needed, but still want to be in this hobby: we will just have to do things as we wish.
Can you site a book written in the last 5 years that suggests crowding Tangs into small tanks?
you're right, not all fish are the same. Many are dead from being kept in inadequate aquariums, for instance.

tanglove

WOW! you just completely took everything I said and tryed to completely turn it around. I didnt say crowd tangs. Did I? I said that so many people are trying to tell us what to do, not just give us advice. I am so sick of getting on this site and then having the know it alls try and tell me what I cant do. Now what I was saying is that I am going to get a yellow tang and I am going to put it in a 55 GALLON. I am going to KEEP my water quality GOOD. I am going to try to be the BEST I CAN BE as a saltwater hobbiest. And I will have a HECK of a better time if I stay off THIS site. Because of THIS SITE, great hobbiest get put down when they are doing something that you PROFESSIONALS DONT AGREE WITH! Right?

tanglove

Oh But I must say before I go, that "YOU EXPERTS" should really try to get your head out of the fishes butt that your "Studying" and realize that you arent the best there is. Truly I think you were probably the ones back in your day that didnt listen then like you dont listen now. I hope that others will realize that YES there is other forums that you can use That wont judge everything you say. Have a Great Life!

66chuck

Generally speaking, if you ask for advice, you will get it whether you like it or not. Also, generalizing again, if you ask enough people, sooner or later you'll get the answer you want.
I asked the owner of the LFS, that I frequent, about putting a hipo in my "rich prick" 125 w/ my yellow tang. Keep in mind, store owner, he sell's fish for profit. He told me not to, because they would get too big and would get stressed over not having enough room.
Should I have gone to another store in order to get an opinion I wanted?

beatlesfan

we don't judge here. we arn't rich pricks.
IMO your hearing what you want ot hear. And trust me.
When you go to other forums and they tell you what you want to hear. Then sure put the yellow tang in the 55g....... and watch it die. "Ok" you will say to yourself "must've been a bad tang" and buy another one..... only to watch it die. Then you will look back and see why we were right.
Feilds Forever.

beatlesfan

Also people like Bang guy and hot883 and other monirators DO know almost all that you can at this time abotu SWF.
Feilds Forever

kevin34

Ever heard of Hampden, Mass? Its a really tiny town near Springfield. Thats where I am from.

1journeyman

TangLove you repeatedly said you've read and researched. I wasn't trying to insult you. I was asking a serious question. I'm willing to look at any info published saying Yellow Tangs are ok in a 55.

puffer9006

i have a sailfin, yellow tang, and hippo all in a 72g and they get along fine. as long as you start small they will be fine in my opinion for a little bit but yes they would out grow your tank.

i rule

Well 'Beatlesfan',
Also people like Bang guy and hot883 and other monirators DO know almost all that you can at this time abotu SWF.
Now this is just rediculous and an obvious attempt to "Suck up". They know almost all that is knowable at this time about SWF? Wow, can they also turn water into gold?
They would probably be hard pressed to out-knowledge a lowly peon like me, let alone a qualified expert such as an ichthyologist. Saltwater fish knowledge does not end at this hobby, you fool. you have truly proved to me and I hope everyone else that reads this that your info is not even worth reading.
Jesus, it's hard to even type here I am so appalled by the responses to this thread... I could go on and on and on...
YOU ONLY HEAR WHAT YOU WANT! AND IF YOU ASK ME WE SHOULD PUT YOU IN A STRAIGHT JACKET AND SHOVE YOU INTO 2' TALL CAVES FOR YOUR LIFE AND SEE WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT HOW TANGS FEEL IN A 55G! THERE ARE PLENTY OF FISH YOU CAN PUT IN A 55G! '
You are pretty damn dumb aren't yah? The average tang in a 55 gallon would be like a large rabbit in a 10' cage. Now a rabbit in a ten foot cage seems pretty reasonable to me... so why isn't it reasonable to keep a tang in a 55 gallon? may I reming you that they are actually fairly similiar animals; both rabbits and tangs are active in the wild, and herbivorous. huh....